Ad Radar
Classic Trucks
Click here to find out more!

have title but dont have vin plate

Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

have title but dont have vin plate

jgreen jgreen
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/08
Posted: 03/02/08
06:02 PM

I have a 49 chevy pu with a title but i dont have the vin plate that goes for the truck, someone took it off. can anyone tell me if it would be a problem to not only register and insure the truck but is it also hard to sell it.  i also know for a fact that the title is clean.   Thanks  

iceburgh iceburgh
New User | Posts: 29 | Joined: 03/08
Posted: 03/06/08
09:14 AM

you can buy them and restamp. Some states frwon on this others cant even tell it has been done. Most resto places sell them.  

lindseyray lindseyray
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 12/07
Posted: 03/08/08
07:42 AM

Hey jgreen,
I am a state police officer in Texas and I am assigned to auto theft.  You need to get your state police officers to inspect your truck and they will verify the identity of the vehicle and also let you know if there is any title issues or theft history on the truck before you spend a lot of money on the vehicle... Most states also have a process for re-issuing identification number plates that will comply with state and federal law. Drop me a line if I can help you.  

chopped1 chopped1
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 03/08
Posted: 03/09/08
09:10 PM

you can get orignal replacment vin plates that come blank and you can have a machine shop or someone with a stamp set stamp it for you I got mine from classic parts 1-800-741-3875 it also looks just like the orignal  

church9 church9
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 03/08
Posted: 03/31/08
07:19 PM

The '49 trucks do not have VIN tags. The tag you see is not a VIN tag. I have never seen a state in which that tag was used to i.d. the truck. There is a number stamp in thew title and it is on the frame of the truck, at least once, but many times twice. Church9  

rico_bob rico_bob
New User | Posts: 16 | Joined: 03/08
Posted: 04/01/08
04:07 PM

Listen to the NICE Police Officer....  Better to get one on your side first before doing any Serial Number or VIn ID tags !

My 2-cents worth,

Tim37Dodge Tim37Dodge
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 04/24/08
09:51 PM


I have a question, first I also live in Texas, I have a 37 Dodge PU I'm just finishing it. It's registered in Texas. I first registered it in CA and when I moved here it was not a problem getting a Texas title. My ID Vin #  plate is screwed on to the firewall, it's not readable. I'm going to have a new one made and put it where the org one was. I'll keep the orginal one is this ok under Texas Law or will I need to have the new plate/vin# inspected but a State tropper?



reagentjimc reagentjimc
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 05/08
Posted: 05/05/08
06:58 PM


mltt_knnth mltt_knnth
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/13
Posted: 08/26/13
01:51 PM

I have a title for my 1972 C-10 truck. I have been years and several junk trucks to fix it back right and I am very close to putting it back on the street. It is not the original cab , nor frame or even bed and none of this is tide together. I guess what you would consider legally now. I think what you are saying to do is very costly now? and is probably not the way it should have been done? I have several projects like this as it takes doing this to get what you want in the end. I bought and paid for everything and salvage or junked or sold parts to finance these projects. with this one , what to do now? and then on any of the others , get an officer out there that can verify all that you are planning and keep them involved in the process and then what is the cost? I have never stolen anything in my entire life and just want to do it right. Can I use any officer or just stolen section or just how do I get the law involved. Yes, I do have associates that are in law enforcement. Thank you! Ken  

waynep712222 waynep712222
User | Posts: 209 | Joined: 03/13
Posted: 08/26/13
06:41 PM

depends on the state.

usually one makes an appointment with the DMV or state patrol... for a VIN check..

please i hope you have receipts for those parts and have NOT defaced the VIN markings on them..

they are all over on anything newer than 1967 or so..

before you do that...

see what vin numbers you can find on the body... hidden locations... along with the dash pad or trim plate on the firewall...

find the vin numbers on the top of the frame rail.. usually near the steering box.. sometimes on the passenger side... usually under the bed also on the top of the rear frame rail...

now that you have collected all these..

google VIN CHECK.... and run all the numbers.. make sure they don't show up on the HOT SHEET.. if they do.. you could loose all your work...

warning.. VIN TAMPERING IS A FEDERAL CRIME..  look up the elenore replica mustangs.. some of those people are sitting in prison over vin tampering..

what will happen.. during a VIN Check with your state police.. or the DMV is they will note all the vin numbers left on your truck.. and issue you a NEW vin number that they will glue and rivet in place.. that you MAY NOT EVER REMOVE .. even for painting..  that will become your vin number..

and please... don't have the johnny cash song.. one piece at a time playing as an endless loop as you have the VIN checked by the patrol. they just won't think its as funny as you do..    you can leave a copy of it in their lost and found..

oh... and it goes on a TRAILER with no tires touching the ground..  

car theft has been a major issue for years... in the late 50s.. my uncle bought a new chevy...  a few days later it was stolen..  then it was recovered.. missing the front seat with some other parts..  funny.. the dealership ended up having that exact seat in stock..  whats even stranger.. it had a cigarette burn in the exact same location as the seat from my uncles car.. he had dropped his cigarette on the first day he owned it..  

waynep712222 waynep712222
User | Posts: 209 | Joined: 03/13
Posted: 08/26/13
06:46 PM

hint... when you buy  CAB... OR A FRAME..

please run the VIN numbers off it on VIN CHECK online..

and make sure that the receipt has the VIN NUMBER from the part on it.. and at least a rubber stamp that matches the name of the company on the sign..  

google.. this term... CYA...

all new cars have VIN numbers on almost every part.. Never buy one with a defaced vin number.. as that will be from a stolen car...

don't hand over money until you have verified that the receipt has the VIN number from the part you are buying..

this includes.. air bags...  wheels..  yep.. those are stamped.. engines.. transmissions.. fenders.. bumpers.. seats...  yep.. those have numbers stampped into hidden areas.. or stickers... again.. scraped stickers.. RUN... you might buy it.. and they might come take it back late some night to sell it to somebody else..

your loss is their gain...  

m7diane m7diane
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 08/13
Posted: 08/26/13
11:27 PM

Thanks for your advice,in future if i need help will definitely contact you.  

renegade3 renegade3
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 07/14
Posted: 07/16/14
06:15 PM

I just purchased a 58 apache... can't find a VIN plate on it anywhere