Lowering my 1959 Apache..

Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

Lowering my 1959 Apache..

DjCarlB DjCarlB
New User | Posts: 18 | Joined: 10/09
Posted: 10/14/09
07:16 PM

I need a little advice on lowering my 1959 Chevy Apache pickup.  

I have already lowered the rear of the truck by using 5" drop leaf-springs and a Cnotch kit.

Now I am looking at lowering my front axle the same 5".

My original idea was to buy a 3" drop axle and do a 2" drop spindle when converting my front drum brakes to disc brakes.  To my surprise it appears that they do now make drop spindles for my truck.  

I do not want to Cnotch my front frame because I want a clean look up at the front, so lowering springs are out of the question.  I also don't want to get into IFS.

I am open to suggestions on other ways of getting the 5" drop I need.  OR if any one has a connection to a 2" drop spindle disc brake conversion that would be ideal!

Thanks for reading and the help

Carl in So Cal.  

ebb_soul ebb_soul
User | Posts: 101 | Joined: 08/09
Posted: 10/15/09
06:00 PM

You'd be fine with reverse eye springs on the front. You're still stuck with the worst steering box ever inplemented, however.
Bobs f-100s knows a bit about using a mid 80's toyota box to solve that on the cheap. if it works on a ford, it works on a chebby.  

26slate 26slate
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 10/09
Posted: 10/18/09
08:47 PM

change the shakles take some leafes out get a drop axle and spindles take a saws-all to the stock bump stops and dont pin it into drive ways  

ebb_soul ebb_soul
Posted: 10/22/09
06:13 PM

Or speedbumps.  

DjCarlB DjCarlB
New User | Posts: 18 | Joined: 10/09
Posted: 10/22/09
11:15 PM

The more I look at it I think IFS conversion will be about the same price for the same result with more options down the line.

I'm just scared to death about screwing up the alignment to the frame and having a listing drive or worse.

I really don't want to pull my engine to install it either, but whatever.. the back is done so I've started down this path .. I better finish it.

There is so many IFS conversion kits out there.  Any recommendations from the crew?  Remember I need a 5" drop to match my rear end.

Thanks for the help,
Carl  

ebb_soul ebb_soul
Posted: 10/23/09
05:00 AM

Everyone knowns my prefference but heidts' or fatmans pinto conversions seem the most popular here.  

Bulldog5336 Bulldog5336
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/13
Posted: 04/30/13
07:30 PM

The old adage of measure twice and cut once does not apply.  Measure 10 times before cutting anything.  Then its is easier to grind a little to get to the right mark then it is to add after cutting too much.   Don't be afraid though.