1964 C20 Emblems

Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

[Help]1964 C20 Emblems

ironcross619 ironcross619
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 10/12
Posted: 10/31/12
02:33 PM

Hello, just joined to see if I can get some leads. My friend has a 1964 Chevy C20 pickup fleet-side. Asked me to help with the project. I contacted LMC looking for the fender emblems but they only carry the C10's.

Anyone know a place that has any C20 original or reproduction. My friend he prefers original for character.

Thanks  

waynep71222 waynep71222
User | Posts: 221 | Joined: 05/12
Posted: 11/01/12
10:27 AM

does he still have at least ONE original that is not BENT???

one can get very creative...  verifying any colors and matching them ..  carefully strip the paint off it.. if its got paint inlay...    

from there.. one can use either epoxy or have the chrome stripped by a chrome plater.. dremel out any pot holes.. use some kind of solder to fill the cavity... smooth and fill the mounting pin scars where the tinnerman nuts went on..     at this point.. i would probably take a scrap of hardwood... create a mounting handle for it... so you can send it to a chrome shop.. and have them at least do some plating on it to POLISH it to a mirror finish..  

then you have a choice...    you can go to a LOST wax casting .. where you make a silicone mold...  then make wax patterns.. to embed in plaster of paris.. and then using a spin casting machine that a some jewerly shops that create their own shapes have.. and cast them..

or with a silicone mold..  create them in epoxy resin..  have them chromed by places like JUST DASHES.. who can electro deposit chrome on plastic parts..  

the more time you spend.. on the pattern.. the better the final product will come out..

if he has both sides... chrome shops can repair and replate them..

i used to have a friend who's company made various name plates for appliances..  i have lost touch with him..  he could knock those out in mass in a few weeks using NEW tooling..

i know about lost wax casting as i did some in high school.. i also worked in a restoration shop.. that when we needed more letters.. the bosses wife owned a jewerly manufacturer.. most of the letters were silver.. but there was at least one set of 18K solid Gold set..  and they are still on the car.. i saw it just a few months ago..  

ironcross619 ironcross619
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 10/12
07:04 PM

Nice, Thanks for the quick reply.

Here is a picture

Imagejpeg2l

That's the condition of both sides really. I though they were worse but I was wrong.

Do they look restorable? He said he wanted to leave them chromed no color.

Any idea of how much it would be to do the set? Ballpark it.

Thanks  

waynep71222 waynep71222
User | Posts: 221 | Joined: 05/12
07:52 PM

Icon Quoteironcross619:
Nice, Thanks for the quick reply.

Here is a picture

Imagejpeg2l

That's the condition of both sides really. I though they were worse but I was wrong.

Do they look restorable? He said he wanted to leave them chromed no color.

Any idea of how much it would be to do the set? Ballpark it.

Thanks

talk to your local chrome or bumper shop..

they can deplate them...

grind the pits out with a dremel...    use some muggy weld to fill it.. sometimes you can use a decent soldering iron..

sometimes it's easier to have it copper plated.. so the solder sticks better...

there are a bunch of articles on repair POTMETAL..  google is your friend.. i think there are a few articles spread out in the over 40 car and truck magazines on this site..

again.. creating a handle for this to sit in.. thats the same shape as the outside allows who ever is buffing it.. and its going to get BUFFED a LOT.. to lessen the chance of it flying across the room..

take a LOOK at this youtube video i searched out..  this is after the deplating and the grinding out of the corrosion

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgaABgrH1B4