Ad Radar
Classic Trucks
Click here to find out more!

1970 chevy 3/4 ton project in need of help!!!

Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

1970 chevy 3/4 ton project in need of help!!!

Chevrolet9279 Chevrolet9279
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 11/12
Posted: 11/04/12
07:41 PM

HELLO! im new here so here it goes

i bought a 1970 chevy 3/4 ton pickup yesterday. it is very rough but im going to bring her back to new like. Grin
   My major problem is... it is titled and registered as a 1970 but the grill is a 71 or 72 and so are the door. so im thinking people put whatever parts on it whatever they could find. HOWEVER.... saying it is a 1970... it shouldnt have disc brakes BUT it does Confused
   is there a way to make sure the frame is a 1970? im confused and dont know what to do. MAYBE it is a LATE 1970? i dont know.... any help how to figure this out would be great.

she is rough but thes still a beautiful truck and in the long run it will be great again!!

ALSO.. the carb took a crap today and i was wondering if anyone had suggestions for a new one. i want all the power but not nickel and dime me to drive it, on a 350.

Thanks for any help!!! Grin  

waynep71222 waynep71222
User | Posts: 221 | Joined: 05/12
Posted: 11/04/12
08:33 PM

like any OTHER chevy...  parts are significantly interchangeable ..  it could have had grills and doors swapped do to accidents.. corrosion.. or to replace what was stolen off the truck if it was stripped by bad guys..

check the VIn number on the TAG either on the Dash or the windshield pillar..   match it to the build plate.. either on the firewall around the master cylinder or sometimes on the core support...

then check the Vin number stamped into the top of the frame rail near the steering box...

you can google 1970 chevy pickup Vin decoding.

you might also want to google..   NICB Vin check..   run the vin number .. its free... make sure its not on a HOT sheet someplace..  or been reported as a salvage title..

disc brakes were not standard as far as i know until 1973 models..  

Chevrolet9279 Chevrolet9279
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 11/12
Posted: 11/05/12
01:38 PM

Thanks!

thats great info i got something to look for. all i could find was what was on the glove box and didnt know what else to do i knew it was titled as a 1970 and all i knew besides the glove box.

about the disc brakes i knew they started putting them on trucks in 1971 but i was also told that this truck could be a 1970 but a LATE one and it got 1971 parts on it.

thanks for all the info!  

tnchev tnchev
User | Posts: 183 | Joined: 12/07
Posted: 12/19/12
10:57 AM

Disc brakes were standard on 1971 and up Chevrolet and GMC. Check the vin plate and see if it has the correct roset rivets. If it has standard rivets, it has been changed. Dean at the truckfarm  Have a blessed Christmas