'51 chevy 1/2 ton

Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

'51 chevy 1/2 ton

trent.cov trent.cov
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 02/13
Posted: 02/23/13
06:31 PM

Looking for some help.  I have always wanted to buy an old truck and fix it up and just bought one a couple weeks ago.  I would like to get the chassis rolling.  I have a 1951 chevy 1/2 ton.  I have no clue on what I'm doing.  I know I can put an IFS suspension kit on the front, but what can I use for the back axles?  I would like disc brakes in the back as well.  also is it possible to make this truck 4WD?  Any help would be great.  thanks
trent  

muskegdon muskegdon
New User | Posts: 28 | Joined: 10/10
Posted: 02/23/13
07:34 PM

I don't know about the 4X4 stuff, but I'm doing a 49 1/2 ton.  I'm using Heidt's products.  MII front end, fits well, easy install.  And a parallel 4 link with a 8.8 Ford rear end out of a 99 Explorer with the disc brakes, an even easier installation.

Don  

trent.cov trent.cov
Posted: 02/24/13
09:41 AM

Thanks Don,  the rear end from the Explorer, I am guessing it fit the bolt pattern on your '49 frame?  Do you know of any other rear ends that would bolt right on that I could use if I can't find an Explorer?  

autotec autotec
Enthusiast | Posts: 456 | Joined: 09/09
Posted: 02/24/13
09:45 PM

Hello trent you could also check out ezchassis .com and they have a kit for the s-10 conversion and that would give you a complete drive train up grade in 4x4 or 2x4 the EFI 4.3 HO is a hot little motor and have talked to guys that have installed the chassis on a weekend after they had the body work done!There is a lot of articals older on here about that.  

trent.cov trent.cov
Posted: 04/04/13
01:42 PM

I Bought a complete rear end from 97 explorer, but the leaf springs won't match up to the existing spring shackles on the chevy frame.  New springs are more than I want to spend.  any idea's on how to get around this?
thanks,
trent