help...

Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

help...

scarimeta scarimeta
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 03/13
Posted: 03/26/13
12:48 PM

i have a beautiful 65 c10 fleetside, three on a tree. i wanna swap out the manual tranny and put a auto in, power steering. this is going to be a gift for my father. my grandfater bought it when my father was 15 to teach him how to drive manual. but now he can't push the cluth in or turn the steering wheel. is there any helpful hints i can use? or recommendations? also the radiator is full of oil. any help would be great, thanks....  

waynep71222 waynep71222
User | Posts: 221 | Joined: 05/12
Posted: 03/27/13
10:24 AM

there are about a dozen truck magazines on this site..

the article you are looking for could be in 3 or 4 of them...

here in classic trucks.. in custom classic trucks.. truckin..

does the truck have a transmission crossmember.. that supports the back of the transmission.. if so.. then you are ahead of the game... if not.. you will need a transmission crossmember..

either one from a 66 to probably 72 but i am not sure of the years.. but there are inexpensive transmission crossmember kits to do exactly that..

you may or may not have to modify the cross member at the back of the engine that supports the transmission bell housing..   you may also want to convert to a side motor mount if your truck is still equipped with the mounts on the front but i think it already has side mounts..

click on some of the banner ads at the top of this page.. it will take you to various truck parts suppliers and most will have just what you need... except for the driveshaft .. and that you can do locally in most cases..

automatic transmissions do NOT have the case strength to hold them selves up without a transmission support..

i think you will have to drill and/or grind the rivets off the bell housing mounts. to remove them for clearance...

i don't know if a different crossmember is needed where the bellhousing mounts were..

i have seen these and it looks like its going to be a TIGHT fit..  but i could be wrong..

if you come back and post.. i will attempt to spend more time searching..  

scarimeta scarimeta
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 03/13
Posted: 04/01/13
10:43 PM

i will definatley check on that cross member. i decided to start with the engine first. just because i know it will take time get the parts back from being fixed..