Classic Trucks
Click here to find out more!

M5OD transmission swap to 1979 ford pickup ?????

Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

M5OD transmission swap to 1979 ford pickup ?????

nated nated
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 04/13
Posted: 04/20/13
08:41 AM

here lays my issue I have an m5od transmission out if a 1989 f150 that I would like to put in to my 1979 ford pickup. the m5od is hydraulic clutch, I was looking at the fire wall of the 79 and I am unsure of how I am going to make this thing work with the petal. I don't really matter if I have to convert it over to mechanical. Any ideal from anyone that has done a swap like this before to lead me in the right direction.

thanks  

waynep712222 waynep712222
User | Posts: 209 | Joined: 03/13
05:23 PM

welcome

you will want to check out how the clutch master is hooked to the pedal assemblies..

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/repairinfo/repairguide/repairGuideContent.jsp?pageId=0996b43f8038ed7f

you might want to remove the clutch pedals from some of the hydraulic clutch ford trucks.. see if you can install it in yours...  or at least to get the pedal shaft center line to push rod length right so the clutch will work..

there are several other truck magazines on this site..  

click the source internet media icon at the bottom of the page..  then the our sites tab..  

05:25 PM

you might want to spend the junk yard time.. and get a complete brake and clutch pedal hanger assembly.. ...  that might make the installation much easier..  at least you will have something to measure from...

clutch master cylinder bore diameter verses the stroke of the piston is CRITICAL... so you don't over extend the clutch slave cylinder..

is yours equipped with an external clutch slave cylinder or the one mounted around the input shaft..  

nated nated
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 04/13
Posted: 04/21/13
09:37 AM

no the slave in not external  

Posted: 04/21/13
06:49 PM

well since i seem to be kinda dense lately...

and you want a hydraulic clutch and a firewall mounted master..

seems like the thing would be to find a proper set of pedals...   perhaps cutting out the firewall around where everything mounts.. including enough of the area where there is reinforcing panels...

not that you will use the firewall section. just so you have the panel to measure from... to get the components mounted in the proper area..

there are places that sell pedal assemblies that hang from the top..

there are also neat 90 degree brackets.. that mount under the dashboard.. with hanging pedals but the master is bell crank operated... and is tucked away behind the middle of the dash.  this leaves you with a flat firewall..