1981 c10 350

Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

1981 c10 350

devinevision devinevision
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 04/13
Posted: 04/24/13
05:52 PM

I just bought an 1981 c10 short bed with a 350 engine.  The numbers do not match so the engines a transplant.  I am not into hot rodding but this is a clean example of a stock c10 right down to the hubcaps. I do not wish to do her any harm. I intend to get my hands dirty as this is mainly cheap transportation/ farm duty and I do have an obssession with putting things right, if you know what I mean. I have a list of things I want to do while i used it, but there's one thing that worries me about using it at all.  The oil pressure gauge reads very low.  It does show signs of life but if its accurate oil pressure ill have trouble soon.  The engine runs smooth with no clicking or clacking. inside the valve cover peeked from the filler cap shows a lot of grunge.  I cannot see oil in there...but should I? The sending unit is covered in oily grunge so I'm thinking that could be the culprit.  I am hoping to get a mechanical gauge but maybe not for a few days.  The previous owner just changed the valve cover gaskets because they leaked so I am assuming some oils gettin to the top end.  Any thoughts?  

waynep712222 waynep712222
User | Posts: 209 | Joined: 03/13
Posted: 04/25/13
08:01 AM

harbor freight makes a 20 buck oil pressure test gauge set.. its got a long rubber hose and a bunch of adaptors...

gives you an instant test...

on a 1981...  there might be 2 different oil pressure switches...

one with a single wire is for the gauge.. if there is a second with 2 wires... thats for the electric choke...... i will have to find the diagram i have for that..

more tonight..