'80 Camaro front clip on a '54 Chevy Frame

Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

'80 Camaro front clip on a '54 Chevy Frame

RetiredRider RetiredRider
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 12/09
Posted: 12/27/09
12:24 PM

I am wanting to graft an '80 Camaro front clip to my '54 3100.  I want the final ride height to be as close to original as possible.  I don't want it lowered and I want the smooth ride of an IFS.  Due to budget constraints, I can't afford aftermarket, "hi tech" IFS parts.  I must make due with the Camaro front clip.  Has anyone every done this and kept the height close to original?  Or, can you direct me to a website, etc. that discusses this?

Steve  

212009990 212009990
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/10
Posted: 01/25/10
03:40 PM

I welded a 79 in my 53, which both clips and trucks are the same. I first shortened the camaro clip by cutting off where the rails start to go down at the back.  I then removed all brackets from the pickup rails just in front of the firewall.  The stock frame of the pickup wil fit in between the rails of the camaro clip.(Tight, but that is good.)  The only cut needed to be made on the pickup rails is where the camaro crossmember recesses into the stock rails on the truck. Weld up where the pickup frame rails touch the camaro crossmember(and anywhere else the gap is less than 1/4 inch.) Where the gap is more cut some gusset plates and weld the two rails together underneath and on the top. Two pieces of plate can be used to flare the camaro to the pickup rails at the back.  Makes the front end very strong.  I have an LS2 and 4L65E in this truck and that engine makes around 400 hp.  No problems so far-had it that way for two years now.  Box in the frame from the firewall forward for extra support.  The alignment guy was amazed the rails fit in between and it aligned with no issues.  Let me know if you need any clarification.  Also I think this is better than cutting the frame off at the firewall-weak point.  

pmac4 pmac4
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/13
Posted: 01/13/13
11:28 PM

I just put a 70's front clip on my 54' as well.
I was looking at getting a generic chrome 32" steering column
do you know if that would work and what other steering components would I need?
Any suggestions would be appreciated.  

oldthing oldthing
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 04/22/13
08:54 PM

Don't do it--on my 3rd chevy--did the camaro--lotta work-- ride height very low--I actually had to put in stronger springs--  

oldthing oldthing
Posted: 04/22/13
08:55 PM

Don't do it--on my 3rd chevy--did the camaro--lotta work-- ride height very low--I actually had to put in stronger springs--  

oldthing oldthing
Posted: 04/26/13
09:53 PM

Would you be able to post some pics  

oldthing oldthing
Posted: 04/28/13
10:23 PM

I'll try--sold my truck though--starting another one  

oldthing oldthing
Posted: 04/28/13
10:25 PM

I'll try--sold my truck though--starting another one  please send email to frankochandler@hotmail.com  and I'll send pics --would love to  see pics of yours