Fuel additives

Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

Fuel additives

daveboy daveboy
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 05/13
Posted: 05/28/13
01:27 PM

My '52 has the 216 CID Thriftmaster engine.  Although it runs strong and uses no oil, I am not certain that it has ever been rebuilt.  I do know the previous owner told me that he hadn't rebuilt it and he had it for many, many years.  My question is, assuming the valves, seats, etc are original, should I run one of the lead additives in my fuel?  Also, will gasoline with 10% ethanol be harmful?  Previous owner added the lead additive and also some other type of fuel additive because of the ethanol.  Should I continue to do this?

Thanks,
daveboy  

waynep712222 waynep712222
User | Posts: 209 | Joined: 03/13
Posted: 05/28/13
10:20 PM

carry on with the additives ...

i am not familiar with anything to counteract the ethanol percentage.. if there is something like that.. but i don't have ethanol issues with my current rides..

there are over 40 car and truck magazines on this site...

i bet there are a few articles on additives... over the next few days.. i will search around for some info.....  

daveboy daveboy
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 05/13
Posted: 05/29/13
05:11 AM

Thanks Wayne.  I will carry on.  While we are on the subject of what to feed these old engines, should I be concerned with oil?  Any reason that a modern, multi-viscosity oil should not be used?

daveboyu  

lab-dad lab-dad
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 07/13
Posted: 07/17/13
06:19 AM

First off YES, your valve seats are not hardened (since according to your post they are original) So I would absolutely run a lead additive.

Second, Ethanol is horrible! Just another way for our government to screw us and our economy. Sorry to rant, dont get me started on the whole ethanol or E85 issue! Mad

There are ethanol additives, I use one I found at home depo.
Eventually ethanol will cause TONS of problems.
Nothing in your fuel system is really ethanol compatible.
I would suggest you find non-ethanol fuel (usually available for off-road use only). Or find a similar additive to the one I mentioned.

-Marty