Classic Trucks
Click here to find out more!

1968 Closed knuckle 3/4 ton 4x4 swap out.....

Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

1968 Closed knuckle 3/4 ton 4x4 swap out.....

Hounddawg Hounddawg
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 06/13
Posted: 06/12/13
08:08 AM

I want to swap out my front end to achieve disc brakes. I want to keep the 8 lug and plan to lift the truck 4". What do you recommend?  

waynep712222 waynep712222
User | Posts: 209 | Joined: 03/13
Posted: 06/12/13
08:48 PM

this is a better question over at one of the several 4x4 truck forums on this site..

either click my user name or click the source internet media icon at the bottom of the page.. it will open in a new window.. click the our sites tab... that will take you to a list of the magazines on this site..

there are over  40 car and truck  magazines..

there is some swap ability with dana front ends..

i know that jeep 5 lug drum brakes can be upgraded with a spindle and rotor swap from a mid 70s. blazer 4x4..

4 Wheel & Off-Road
4 Wheel Drive & Sport Utility
Four Wheeler
Off-Road
are the magazines to check out..

or post what model front end you have.. so i don't have to look it up... i will look around and see what i can see..

there are dana 44 front ends... dana 60 front ends...  dana 70 front ends... and a few i think dana 50.. but i seem to recall they look like a dana 60.. but have a dana 44 parts... but i could be wrong.. i don't spend a lot of time in the 4x4 section... too many other issues in the dozen or so car magazine sites i cover..

so is your ring and pinion on the left side or the right..

what is the spring center to center width...  measure one side of the right spring to the same side of the left spring.. that gives you center to center... you don't want your springs bolted in crosseyed...

what kind of steering linkage is currently installed.

and there are also all kind of neat braces for the steering box to stabilize it..

post a model front end you currently have.. i will perhaps have you some info by the end of the weekend.. if not much much sooner..  don't forget... you might also want to swap the rear end.. do you have a GM rear end.. or the big EATON rear end...  

so you could go to a 14 bolt or a dana rear end with disc brakes and really haul down...

or just go to a newer rear braking system to keep the bias proper for the disc brake conversion...

keeping the brake bias is easier than trying to figure out the sweet spot of the proportioning valve adjustment..

you already have a dual braking system so you are half way there..

seems there are 71 to 75 dana 44 front axles that might swap right in.. with disc brakes already installed..

there also seem to be two versions of the dana 44 front ends...

8 bolts holding the plate that holds the big seal is in a conventional dana 44..

12 bolts holding the plate that holds the seal in is a dana 44HD...

there are axle build numbers stamped into the front of one of the axle tubes...

see if you can find them or the ID tag under the cover bolts...