Rear ride height

Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

Rear ride height

newt newt
New User | Posts: 10 | Joined: 11/06
Posted: 03/29/13
10:26 AM

Help, I have a 65 Chevy, fleetside, shortbed that has a weakened rear spring on one side. I like the ride height; however, there is a one inch difference in height. I can shim on one side or I can replace the springs; however, I don't know if the springs are stock or already have lowered springs. Can someone tell me the measurement from the floor to the top of the bed sides adjacent to the tailgate and specify the type of springs you have? Thanks in advance for your help.  

waynep712222 waynep712222
User | Posts: 209 | Joined: 03/13
01:59 PM

is there any PAINTED color on the springs??  

or a tape tag with a part number???

coils springs are gm group part number 7.503

i am taking that this is a C10 .. not a C20... or a leaf spring version..

how about spring wire diameter...

have you checked the rear control arm bushings??? if one is torn up.. it will throw off the rear ride height by about an inch..

be sure to check the front suspension...

you might also want to take something like a flat fan belt.. with the tires up in the air.. measure the distance around...  if your tires are odd sized.. either front or rear.. you will have ride height issues...

if you want to replace the springs...  you will want to visit a truck scale... spend a few minutes..

weight the entire truck with you in the drivers seat...

then measure the front half...

then the rear half...

then ONE wheel at a time...

then back at your place... or on a drive on rack... so the suspension stays at ride height..

measure the height of the springs when they are installed..

with the truck up on a drive on rack is also a great time.. to measure from the bottom of the frame to the surface of the rack...  see if the frame is really level..  between front and  back..  

waynep712222 waynep712222
User | Posts: 209 | Joined: 03/13
02:14 PM

in looking at the parts catalog...

you might find some light green paint stripes on your springs...

1200 rear weight..  gm 3795801.. light green paint

if you have heavy duty springs..

1600 pounds rear weight  3795802  orange paint.  

Getbigpage?Pageid=22591  

newt newt
06:14 PM

I see that I left out a lot of vital information. The truck is a C10 with what appears to be original coil springs. They are too weathered to glean any info from them that might indicate what kind of springs they are. I did a frame off restoration and did not notice any difference in spring rate until the truck was fully assembled. I did replace all bushings and bolts in the trailing arms along with new shocks and I don't suspect there is any binding or damage in those components.
Thanks for the help so far and if there is anything that can be added with this new info, I want to say thanks in advance.  

406Rich 406Rich
User | Posts: 71 | Joined: 01/12
06:36 PM

For visual purposes go here, maybe someone before torched the springs to lower it.

http://www.earlyclassic.com/Tech.aspx?category=Stance+Photos  

newt newt
Posted: 03/30/13
07:32 AM

406Rich:
  Thanks, the visuals were exactly what I was looking for.