74 FORD 800 dump

Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

74 FORD 800 dump

AJKEHOE AJKEHOE
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 08/13
Posted: 08/27/13
10:34 AM

hello!  new to forum..just bought a '74 Ford Dump 10 wheeler (800) I know it has a 391FT but I don't know much more.  can anyone advise me on how to determine components? I tried researching the VIN, but pre '81 makes that difficult. the VIN is T81FVR23445.    any help would sure be appreciated, and thanks!  

waynep712222 waynep712222
User | Posts: 209 | Joined: 03/13
Posted: 08/27/13
11:54 PM

which components.. that truck is made with lot of parts...

and they could have been swapped from the time it was rolled off the line..

one cannot even tell which engine is in it unless you either pull a spark plug and measure the stroke..  or the pan and check the stroke.. spark plugs are easier..

they made in the Heavy duty version... 330HD.. 361HD and 391HD..

if you are going to rebuild the carb... PLEASE don't take off anything in the governor assembly...

remove the float bowls.. remove the metering blocks.. remove the main body from the throttle plate...

DON'T mess with any of the big block of stuff on the sides of the carb other than the choke... its a ROYAL pain to put it back and it takes a proper manual.. and SKILLED TECHs to do so..

and please DON'T soak anything on the throttle plate..

i am hoping you are going to be using that only off road.. on a farm..  where it won't be driven on a highway...

there are all kinds of issues... and you will want to at least have a professional truck brake mechanic inspect the brakes..

stop by your local NAPA store... talk to the parts manager or the store manager..

they might be able to recommend a tech to talk to about this...

its beyond my range of knowledge..  except i wonder if you need a CDL to drive it on the highway..

i was watching the former SPEED channel.. they had a show called american trucker or something like that.. the host has a ford cabover project..  in one episode. he went to the baja 1000.. and ended up going big rig junk yard shopping for parts.. he found only one.. and the guy was stripping it for the scrap pile as he walked in.. all the others were GONE...  scrapped.. melted..

since speed channel is GONE...  it might still work on hulu.. check out episode 2..

http://www.hulu.com/american-trucker

post some pictures of the truck to an image hosting site.. like photobucket  

paste links here..  

AJKEHOE AJKEHOE
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 08/13
Posted: 08/29/13
08:35 AM

Thank you Waynep.  I bought it last week and will not attempt the 60+- mile ride home without all new fluids, tune-up and confirming that I have at least brakes on the tandems. The man who sold it to me has been kind enough to allow me the time needed to make it safe to run on the road before I move it.  I appreciate the heads-up regarding the carb...  that's the type of info that only someone who has already been there can offer.  It does require a CDL (43,500 GVW)but that's no problem.  
It really is humbling to own and in time, attempt to run this truck. My last 'big truck' purchase was a'97 Kenworth W900 (studio sleeper, the works) I was one of the dummies that was overextended and had way too much $$ in receivables when the economy went south in '08.. losing the house, equipment.. all of it.   This is my first very small step at getting back into business.  I hope to find an inexpensive loader/backhoe and start over.   sorry for the long story, and thank you for your time.  

waynep712222 waynep712222
User | Posts: 209 | Joined: 03/13
Posted: 08/29/13
10:30 AM

cool... the guy next door to me when i was growing up dug foundations.. in the los angeles area in the 50s thru mid 70s...

he had a challenge ring trencher on an oliver chassis.. and a  ford 5000 super dexta backhoe... or something like that..  he held some of the patents on the challenge trencher...

one trick.. that you might or might not know.. if you pick up a backhoe..

the orings in the control valves have specific durometers... and materials...

too soft a durometer oring in the control valve and you just won't get the pressure out of it...  the tractor equipment supply used to sell him replacement orings out of the red tray.... those were plumbing oring.. i pointed that out one day.. i don't know why he did not know that...  he was forever working on the valve blocks. until that..

i am hoping that it has AIR BRAKES... not vacuum boosted hydraulics...

i have worked on F600s and F800s that had vacuum hydraulic brakes..

one driver said to the owner that he knew the grape vine like the back of his hand...

he ended up in the catch pit... almost went over the backside... before caltrans extended it up the side of the hill...

he described his trip.. he said he was out in the #2 lane as all the trucks were slowing in the 3 and 4 lanes..   he was only going about 50. as he started down north from le beck. he said it just kept going faster and faster.. so he decided to put the rear end in low...  he was probably going 60 at this point..  it did not go.. left him in neutral... so he rode the brakes for a while till they started to fade...  so he reached over and pulled on the emergency brake handle..  then the engine died... the powers steering quit and all brakes went away... oh.. and the engine would not restart...  he was shaking as he told me this .. as we followed my boss down the grapevine ...  my boss was in his truck..   he really was not interested in finishing the run..  in case you don't know.. its a 6% down for 12 miles or so...  with lots of curves... 4 or 5 lanes wide... i wonder how fast he was actually going as he freewheeled down the grapevine..  he was scraping off speed by riding the left guard rail when he could..  still did not hurt the truck...  that took another driver coming up.. left it in a fairly low gear and just stood on the gas..  no governor on that 330HD...  he exploded the fan..  and kept going... it did not slow down till he bent a bunch of pushrods.. and overheated the motor..