Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

'62 Chevy C10 problems

KarlKreusel KarlKreusel
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 08/13
Posted: 08/20/13
03:55 PM

Hey,
I inherited a '62 chevy c10 with a straight 6. I know very little about this engine and have been having trouble with getting it running. I can get it started for about 2-5 seconds and then it just dies off. Also it will die if I gas it at all. It sat for about 6 years with nothing done and I don't believe it had any real maintenance in that time either. I have changed the oil and sprayed the carb with carb cleaner as well as replaced as much of the old gas as I can.

Any help would be awesome for someone starting this kind of a rehabilitation.

Thanks!  

waynep712222 waynep712222
User | Posts: 209 | Joined: 03/13
Posted: 08/20/13
09:40 PM

use 2 wrenches.. one to hold the fuel filter nut on the front of the carb... probably 1"  and a tubing wrench to loosen the fuel line..

stick a piece of fuel hose over the end to extend it into a clean clear plastic soda bottle..   unhook the negative wire from the coil that goes to the side of the distributor so no sparks can be created..

have a friend crank the engine for 15 seconds while you watch the pulses of fuel from the end of the hose into the bottle...

do you get nice equal sized fuel pulses.???? not diminishing...

what color is the fuel ... an almost clear  liquid.. or a yellowed or tan liquid..

you might need to change the fuel..

what does it smell like?????

i am asking this as you have no said anything about changing the fuel..

gasoline goes bad..  if somebody planned ahead and put fuel stabilizer in.. its probably still too old to ignite it..

while you have the fuel line off the carb.. use the 1" wrench to unscrew the filter nut.. put in a new filter..  please. THIS SCREWS in BY hand... they are really easy to cross thread...

there is another test.. put your finger or thumb over the end of the fuel line and have the helper crank the engine..  wait 10 seconds.. and release.. does the fuel system still have pressure???

we are testing the fuel systems ability to deliver fuel to the carb.. and if it will hold pressure when you have stopped cranking... there are check valves in the fuel pump that could have sediment in them..   i have gotten tired and installed a loop of new fuel hose from the line coming in from the tank to the fuel pump inlet.. and then cut the hose and install an inline fuel filter from a fuel injected application.. i normally recommend something like a 90  ford ranger fuel filter as you can push 5/16 fuel line over the lumps on the filter fittings.. and hose clamp them in place.. its a fine enough filter that it catches almost everything ...

there is a bunch of other stuff to test.. the fuel pump and system is the first step..

you may also want to pick up a 3 to 5 buck test light..

reconnect the wire to the negative side of the coil...

put the clip of the test light on the coil positive..  shove the probe end of the test light into someplace to ground it...

turn the key on.. you should get a medium bright test light.. crank the engine and it should get brighter... when you release the key from cranking to the run position. you should have a medium bright test light again..

this shows the positive side of the ignition system is working..

these are all tests before you tear into the carb...

i have had fuel pumps so bad that i could blow into the extended hose on the end of the fuel line and make bubbles in the gas tank.. the wrong way thru 2 check valves..

post what you get... i will be around...

there are several articles around the magazines here on rebuilding the rochester model B.. which is probably whats on your engine.. sort of a very ROUND bodied carb...

there is a post on rebuilding the model B rochester here thats just a few pages back in the active posts.. for some reason i cannot post a link.. hmm...

let us know what happened.. i drop thru this forum a few times a day and night.. looking for new posts...