Window regulator

Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

Window regulator

newt newt
New User | Posts: 10 | Joined: 11/06
Posted: 04/17/13
05:32 PM

I just stripped the splines on my new window regulator and new window crank handle trying to roll up the window on my 65 Chevy truck and I was being careful. I bought these parts from a mainstream Chevy mail order company. The window regulator splines should not have been damaged because the aluminum window crank should have let go first….or so it seems to me. Anyone else having this problem? How did you overcome the problem. Any advice would be appreciated and thanks in advance!!  

waynep712222 waynep712222
User | Posts: 209 | Joined: 03/13
Posted: 04/17/13
07:53 PM

take a good look....   its almost always the splines INSIDE the handle.. they are usually POT METAL castings.. and the splines in the handle are usually not full depth..  

if the shaft splines missed the heat treating step.. they might be damaged easily..

i came up with a design a while back that used insert blocks that were tightened by machine screws to tightly grip the splines..    i just don't have a vertical mill to make some with currently..  i was even thinking of creating a forging die.. and having one of the piston manufacturers around so cal.. forge some handles..  the inserts would need to be machined..

why forged... billet is easy... forged is totally different.

i have seen way too many vice grips with window crank knobs installed on a bolt welded to the side of them..

there was a NEAT clip on the red green show..  where they invented power windows.. using a power mixer with removable counter rotating blades.. plug it into one hole.. the window goes up.. into the other .. it goes down.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uG6grzdUf8

this is just for humor.. it takes a power drill to actually make that work..

this requires a call to the supplier of the offending pieces..   i have found that the angle cut back on the end of the shaft removed way too much in spline material verses what little amount of splines are available in the handle casting..  i have seen some stripped ones lately. that only had 3/16" of spline engagement  they did not last very long at all.

is the window glass really hard to move up and down . requiring extra torque  on the window crank???  

newt newt
New User | Posts: 10 | Joined: 11/06
Posted: 04/18/13
01:36 AM

I agree with your ideas, the splined shaft on the window regulator should not have bee damaged. I suspect the shaft was not heat treated or the steel is an incorrect alloy. In addition, the chamfer on the front of the shaft reduces the effective grip length of an already marginal length. The design needs improvement.