Help-1950 Fargo cab and chassis

Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

Help-1950 Fargo cab and chassis

IanJ IanJ
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 05/13
Posted: 05/06/13
09:33 AM

I just received what I believe to be a 1950 Fargo cab and chassis. I just couldn't let the scrappers take it away.I think it's a 1 ton or more. It looks pretty heavy duty. Can anybody help me with some information about the truck or where to look? Thanks  

waynep712222 waynep712222
User | Posts: 209 | Joined: 03/13
Posted: 05/06/13
12:31 PM

do you have a title???? or a bill of sale from the property owner where it was sitting???

are there any ID numbers on the cab.. inside the glove box door  on the door jam....  or top of the frame rails in the engine compartment...

if you don't have proper paperwork... you will also want to download your states vehicle code on car and truck registrations... so you know exactly what you need to accomplish..

don't forget...  with cars and trucks... there are 2 different types of ownership..

you can apply for title and registration... so you could drive the car or truck legally..

or you can apply for TITLE ONLY.. so you are the OWNER.. but it is not registered to drive on the street ..   there are also requirements for farm vehicles and off road vehicles..

if you get the fargo put back together... in the back window.. are you going to have a little cutout of a wood chipper???

if you don't understand... i guess you did not see the movie "fargo"..

if you did.. well. then you enjoyed the joke..  

i don't recall the name of the dealership in that movie.. but perhaps a license plate frame from that dealer...  only a few people would catch it...  

IanJ IanJ
Posted: 05/09/13
06:24 AM

I live up here in Ontario so getting a title is not an issue. Here I can register it as certified or uncertified. The first meaning road worthy and the second being just in my name. I can even register it as a engine and frame and still receive an ownership.
What I was looking for was info on the truck itself. I know it's similar in looks to the Dodge but that's as far as I know. I believe by the suspension set up it might be a 3 ton. Might make a good custom car carrier.

Thanks for the reply though.  

11:40 AM

to make it into some sort of commercial or even private use on the road truck carrying items...

change the axles and brakes to something MUCH newer...  so it will STOP when you step on the brakes...

id numbers on the cab.. in the cab.. on the top of the frame rail.. drivers side usually.  above the axle... or near the steering box..

i had a friend with a 56 COE dodge truck.. he told me of many days of standing on the brake pedal and still rolling thru stop sights with one hand on the wheel...  both feet on the brake pedal and on hand on the horn..   he replaced it with an extended chassis white freightliner that he custom built a bed with slide out ramps for...   he had a trencher and a backhoe and dug foundations on so many projects here in so cal  in the 50s 60s and 70s..  

11:44 AM

or move your cab and fenders onto a later frame already set up for that kind of loads...

that gives you a current steering box also..

i am not trying to talk you out of anything.. only letting you know that early truck brakes were used by early truck drivers would would use the transmission and double clutching  during up and downshifting to control truck speeds and did not use the brakes except to come to a final stop..  

locknar locknar
New User | Posts: 13 | Joined: 06/09
Posted: 05/11/13
10:18 AM

all the secrets are on the vin tag in the cab on the drivers side post. The vin itself will tell you the factory, but more importantly the id is fairly simple
F is fargo
D is dodge
1 is 49
2 is 50
B is half ton, D one ton F and G are the big guys, also the wheel base will be listed.

go here for the real numbers http://www.t137.com/registry/help/partspages/SerialNumberGuide1920-57/slide024.html  

IanJ IanJ
Posted: 05/16/13
08:31 AM

thank you