1985 F-150

Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

1985 F-150

rtmbaker rtmbaker
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 10/13
Posted: 10/19/13
07:47 PM

I new to this and wonder if a 1985 F150 long bed. Could it be considred a classic? I bought it in 1996 from a  minsiter and he got it from a widow in his church. It shows less than 70,000 miles. It has 5.0 EFI with automatic overdrive and loves gasoline. Right now I am drivng it less thatn 1,000 miles per year. Sheet metal is pretty solid but the paint is poor. Trying to decide to keep it or buy something else. I am tired of depreciating assets and want something that will increase in value if I hold it. It has tinted glass and air but the air does not work. It is just about orignal. Anyone one have amy suggestions or ideas?  

wayne712222 wayne712222
User | Posts: 100 | Joined: 10/13
Posted: 10/20/13
02:38 AM

which motor...

which fuel injection system or does it have a carb..

my older sister with the EFI 5.0 in her lincoln town car.. can squeeze over 26MPG out of it.. just a year newer..

i am very familiar with these ... and there are a LOT of variations..

you will need to invest in at least a 32 buck Actron EEC4 code scanner.. so you can run the KOEO and KOER tests to see which systems are NOT passing the self test...

if they don't pass the self test.. the computer turns down the power to protect the engine..  this can reduce the fuel economy by 30 percent or more...

a picture of the emissions label under the hood would also help..  as there are a lot of differences.. also.. pictures of stuff under the hood from different angles...so  i can see whats connected and point out issues..

at 70,000 miles you have at least 100,000 to go before anything really major happens if you take care of it.. like changing the engine oil at least twice a year.. at your low miles driven.. and servicing the transmission every 2 years.. starting now..  you can if you really drive it only 1,000 miles a year.. go for several years without it being serviced..

a friend of mine listed to my advice..  he just needed his 96 E250 transmission rebuilt..  but he had just crossed the 475,000 miles on the odometer.. on the original transmission with only a tail shaft bushing change and frequent services..

oh  wait.. you did post 5.0 EFI..

DUH... sorry.. i don't get a lot of sleep.. family care issues here..

invest in one of these.. about 32 bucks..

Cp9115foreeciv KOEO Koertesting Zps6f1f70a0

oh.. and the paint on all of those was horrible as they were shifting to LOW VOCs and waterborn finishes to meet air quality standards.

things that go wrong with these...

ignition coil high voltage leaks...

bad ground connections around the engine compartment..

worn out EGR valves.. and EGR position sensors...

coolant temp sensors out of calibration...

air temp sensors out of calibration..

smog pumps that no longer put out enough volume and pressure...

air injection diverter valves, air injection check valves.. air injection crossover tubes that go from the back of one head to the back of the other..

leaking vacuum hoses on the front of the upper intake and the rear of the intake plenum.. this is a later plenum rear view.. the 85s did not have the extensions on the fittings..  so its way up under the plenumn

Ford50efirearofintakeplenum  

wayne712222 wayne712222
User | Posts: 100 | Joined: 10/13
Posted: 10/20/13
02:51 AM

see where the hose goes in into the lower part of the intake.. on the right side of the picture...

there is a PCV valve and a few more items in there to change..

the PCV VALVE..

the PCV flanged grommet..

the PCV filter...

the pcv filter needs to be replaced as they are made from packed tight steel wool..  you use a LONG drywall screw and only go in no more than 7 turns .. then yank the screw and the filter  out.. shove the new one in..   stick the new grommet on top... stick the new pcv into the grommet..  and you are fixed.  

rtmbaker rtmbaker
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 10/13
Posted: 10/26/13
06:05 PM

Icon Quotertmbaker:
I new to this and wonder if a 1985 F150 long bed. Could it be considred a classic? I bought it in 1996 from a  minsiter and he got it from a widow in his church. It shows less than 70,000 miles. It has 5.0 EFI with automatic overdrive and loves gasoline. Right now I am drivng it less thatn 1,000 miles per year. Sheet metal is pretty solid but the paint is poor. Trying to decide to keep it or buy something else. I am tired of depreciating assets and want something that will increase in value if I hold it. It has tinted glass and air but the air does not work. It is just about orignal. Anyone one have amy suggestions or ideas?

Wayne thanks for the information. I only get to look at this site about one time per week. Last week I had ignition trouble and it was the problem was the module  on the side of the distributor. $55.00 and 2-hours later it was running again. (had to remove the distributor.