1979 C20 - ignition?

Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

1979 C20 - ignition?

Mariann Kennedy Mariann Kennedy
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/13
Posted: 11/01/13
11:48 AM

I have a 79 C20 that was someone else's daily driver when I bought it. I have a bad habit of jumping in and driving without bothering with the keys Smile So one day I decided it would be a brilliant idea to leave the ignition in the start position - toasted my battery, obviously. Replaced the battery, can get dash lights for a minute, but as soon as I crank on it, everything is dead.
I'm new to this and most of you are probably laughing at me, but I look forward to learning all about this, I've wanted this pickup since I was a child - I'm sure I've burnt up a wire or something, but any advice on where to start is greatly appreciated. I'm in no hurry to rig anything - this is my baby and not my daily.
Not afraid to learn, or of a little laughter, but y'all don't be cruel to me - I know it was a brilliant move on my part Smile  

wayne712222 wayne712222
User | Posts: 100 | Joined: 10/13
02:23 PM

first... are you sure the battery is fully charged.????

can you check the battery cables.. make sure the cables are TIGHT.. that they won't turn when the bolts are tightened..

discharged batteries are the number one cause of what you describe..

loose or dirty battery cables.. and some side terminal batteries have shallower holes that others.. so the bolts bottom out before the cable gets tight..

this is printable..

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Voltagedroptesting

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
post results ..

battery voltage after one minute headlight on..____________

1._____________

2._____________

3._____________

4.______________

lets start with the CHEEP parts...

do you have an automatic transmission or a manual transmission...

with an automatic transmission.. you will have to find the string from the PRND2L on the right side of the steering column down below the shifter bowl  and disconnect it.. its either clipped on or a small phillips screw.. or you will break the pulley in the cluster and your shift indicator will no longer work...

this usually involves pulling the panel directly below the steering column first..

now.. you can with the parking brake firmly set and the wheels chocked..

remove the two Nuts that hold the steering column mounting plate to the dash board.. and then the FOUR.. half inch socket headed bolts that hold the bracket to the column.. please... note which way it fits.. or put a piece of tape on the left side.. so you know where left is when you reinstall it..

you can now... lower the column to access the Ignition switch.. you will also have to remove the dimmer switch if your dimmer is activated by the turn signal lever..

you can replace the 15 buck ignition switch.. doing so with the key removed from the lock cylinder..  there is a guide hole that may or may not have a locking pin in it.. to remove after installation.. and if your 79 has the dimmer activated by the turn signal.. you will have to reposition the push rod and adjust the dimmer switch distance so the lever activates it properly..   not too far down.. not too far up...

Ls309ignitionswitchpinout

how to adjust it...

Tiltcolumnignitionswitch  

wayne712222 wayne712222
User | Posts: 100 | Joined: 10/13
08:33 PM

count the wires on your terminal block also..

if you have more than the ORANGE wire running across...

disconnect the battery first... and those are 2 different size nuts and studs..

wire brush both sides of the terminals..
F1029265 Bc57 400D 9D51 B0a87aa2990c Zpsa694d292