Th 350 into 66 C-10

Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

Th 350 into 66 C-10

dp's 66 dp's 66
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/13
Posted: 11/12/13
08:50 AM

looking to use a th350 in my 66 c-10 replacing the granny 4 sp. looking for tips on how to deal with crossmember and carrier bearing. Confused  

SterlingLarry66 SterlingLarry66
New User | Posts: 14 | Joined: 03/09
Posted: 01/02/14
05:33 PM

This was exactly my situation. First grind off the factory rivets holding the carrier bearing. It all comes apart then.  You should also remove the rear bellhousing mounts as the rear trans crossmember (and motor mounts) makes the set-up just like any other GM out there. You can use any auto trans you want. 350, 400, 700R4, etc. I think my crossmember was from a '67 Chevy truck. Just slide it into the frame rails, drill new holes and bolt it in. You can measure everything first, or put the trans in and line up the crossmember. Where it goes depends on the tranny as they almost all have diff dim's from the front to the rear mount. Go to any parts store and buy a new rubber mounting block for $10.00. Don't forget you will need a 1 piece driveshaft now. I bought a junkyard one, measured it and had it cut, new yoke end put on and balanced for about a $100. My driveline angles came out perfect. Check into that as it's important. And when measuring, take into account the in/out travel & depth of the yoke into the trans. It's really not that hard and you can find websites to explain anything I mentioned here that you don't understand. Piece of cake.