1969 fleetside tailgate

Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

1969 fleetside tailgate

gcoronet gcoronet
New User | Posts: 21 | Joined: 04/08
Posted: 06/19/13
07:15 PM

Just installing a new tailgate and it has a lot of sideways movement within the trunnion-tailgate hinge. Is this normal? What's the fix?  

waynep712222 waynep712222
User | Posts: 209 | Joined: 03/13
Posted: 06/27/13
12:37 PM

perhaps.. a chunk of rubber in the hinge pocket... something like a section of a sidewall from a tire..

or even something like i used yesterday...   i was at the parts store looking for the rubber exhaust hanger straps..  i bought one for like 5 bucks.. it had a loop of rubber strip bolted to the swivel bracket.. i removed the bolt.. cut the strip of rubber into sections , used my gasket punch set and a lot of work to make the holes bigger and used it to replace the missing bed isolators on a friends pickup truck..   worked great..   will it work for your application???

i don't know..  i liked the idea of the multiple layers of tire cord to prevent push out from under the bed mounts..

you could also pickup some of the rubber motor mounts from a late 50s chevy truck or car..
there are 2 sizes...    #2521 and 2522...    you might be able to slice and dice them down into the proper size you need to stabilize your tail gate..

i seem to recall that there are devices to center the tail gate on fleetside boxes..  perhaps i am wrong..