Does rusted mean it's busted?

Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

Does rusted mean it's busted?

Ezequiel Maroquin Ezequiel Maroquin
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 12/13
Posted: 12/14/13
11:19 AM

I recently bought a 1968 Chevy C10 and thus far it's my oldest vehicle. I expected a lot of wear and tear since it's 45 years old, however, I noticed a bit of rust underneath the truck. My question is:

Is the rust going to make make it to difficult/impossible for me to restore or is this common with restoration projects?

Rvs7jlfvewl6guaxfoh Pscl3twy9zc5eiwd0k2skwvpmr Sjljz6zdzt864mpkicd11j4iiifqotjmcs1uvjblyieq8pehg4c2cctbrridofpp Qedr Ch4fvxtqjnf3 Jpgsldaa1 5Olandul5rdba84bgq=W506 H750  

wayne712222 wayne712222
User | Posts: 100 | Joined: 10/13
Posted: 12/14/13
08:55 PM

bottom of the doors..
bottom of the fenders.

body mount areas..
floor pans
rocker boxes below doors.
bottom around windshields..  into the cowl..

most of these are easily fixed..  sometimes NOT so easy..

bottom of the A pillar.. hinge mounting area and down..

bottom of the B pillar..

again.. just slightly harder...

you will be amazed at how easy that truck is to take apart..

if you have the room and the thickness to the wallet..

you might start at redoing the frame.. box off.. cap and fenders off, engine and transmission out..

strip suspension off.. sand blast.. sand.. weld.. check frame alignment before any painting.. there are charts available online to check it.

more sanding.. and some type of coating.. to protect it..  

you will want some chassis saver paint.. some roll on bed liner on the frame... por15..   when sand blasting.. and when painting.. don't forget to go inside the frame rails where they are boxed..  hint.. you can get extensions for sprayers. to coat the inside of the frame rails..  you now.. depending on what you find.. have a great foundation to either drop the cab and box back on.. and continue to slowly go forward..

sometimes you have to find the key to rust repair.. and know when its time to close and lock the door on a project..

there are dozens of magazines on this site..

if you point out areas of rust.. you need fixed.. i might run across images or articles of that area being repaired..

Thekeytorustrepair Zps5609b15c  

Ezequiel Maroquin Ezequiel Maroquin
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 12/13
Posted: 01/07/14
08:46 PM

Wayne,

you are the man! I couldn't have asked for a better answer. I appreciate the time you took to teach me about something I could seem to find an answer for. I hope tat good karma rewards you buddy!

Thanks again!