Camaro Sub frame ????

Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

Camaro Sub frame ????

agarrettv agarrettv
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/14
Posted: 01/19/14
12:03 PM

Hey everyone,  I'm new to this forum, so if this question has been asked before please forgive me. I'm in the process of building a 2nd series chevy. I found someone in the area with an original frame with a  74 camaro front sub frame.  Will this give me a stock ride height, or will it lower the front end.  If it does, how much lower should I expect?? Any help would be great.  Thanks  

wayne712222 wayne712222
User | Posts: 100 | Joined: 10/13
Posted: 01/19/14
04:49 PM

to assist you in getting the ride height correct..

please.. measure the frame height in several locations on your frame before you take your truck apart..  so you can set it up to proper height...

now.. on the camaro subframe.. i am taking its a roller. still has wheels and tires on it..

take the shocks out..  use some 5/8" all thread.. and an assortment of various sizes of washers up to about 2 inch.. or some of the steel square washers used in reinforcing brick buildings..  use the all thread to pull the suspension down to ride height on the camaro frame..  this way you can see how its all going to line up..

i am sure that there are other forum members and posts on this subject.. and probably a few articles spread out in the various magazines here..

there is also customclassictrucks and rod and custom.. street rodder web.  truckin.. some of them will have similar articles.

i am not a frame guy.. i spend my life working on engines and electronics..  

rt.barone rt.barone
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 01/14
Posted: 01/27/14
12:34 PM

Hey I am also new to the forum.  I am in the middle of upgrades to a 1949 Chevy 3100 with a 1975 Camaro subframe.  I am deciding on shocks and springs for the front end.  QA1 needs the front end weight of my truck.  Does anyone possibly know the weight of the front with a small block in it?
Thanks,  

wayne712222 wayne712222
User | Posts: 100 | Joined: 10/13
Posted: 01/28/14
11:16 AM

is the front end apart still... no sheet metal.. no motor.

you could weigh all the components...

you just have to judge how far toward the rear axle centerline verses the front axle centerline to get a good idea of where the weight will be..

you could get the suspension installed..  and create a pair of shock substitutes out of steel..  these are used to establish ride height usually during builds anyway..

like using the all thread thru the shock hole in the frame..  and the washers of various diameters on the bottom of the control arm.. so you can pull it down against the spring..

since you seem to be using the tapered coil springs on the lower shock body.. with the upper end into the spring pocket in the sub frame..  

you can always build using ... don't scream..  a chunk of 4x4 between the lower control arm and the spring pocket will hold the truck at ride height.. so you can get it on the trailer and to the truck scales..  front axle on the scale..  then whole truck on the scale. then just the rear axle..  then if they don't think you are crazy.. each front wheel..  and if there is room...

if you have a friend who races circle track..  he might have a set of portable scales he can set under your truck to get the corner weights.

sorry i don't have a perfect answer for you ...

perhaps another forum member will come along and answer your weighty issue..