Cab tank delete. Cab fill neck options.

Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

Cab tank delete. Cab fill neck options.

ryanzander ryanzander
New User | Posts: 8 | Joined: 02/14
Posted: 02/13/14
09:44 AM

Bought an under bed kit. Already took out the factory tank. Truck was JUST painted, so i don't want to fill the hole. Plus i also like the factory look. But without the tank and filler neck the cap/outer portion won't support themselves. I can't tack anything either without burning the paint. Is there a product or solution you guys have used? the cap won't be removable so the wife can't pour gas in the cab. Sorry, tried searching but couldn't find anything. I apologize for having to be spoon fed.

Thanks in advance!  

wayne712222 wayne712222
User | Posts: 99 | Joined: 10/13
10:33 AM

there might be several options to create a support with enough surface area to epoxy to the inside of the cab if thats what you are thinking..

create your own by using some rectangular tubular stock..  and drilling a pair of offset holes to allow you to support the false tube.. and an additional curved to match the inner shape of your cab plate.. thats welded to the rectangular tube so you have a MASSIVE Surface to epoxy to the cab..

to make mold to allow you to create a perfect curved piece for the inside.. or get really close.. cover the opening with some masking tape so its a smooth surface..

place either some plaster of paris or some fast drying cement in a gallon zip lock bag..  hold it against the inner surface with a folded bath towel..  until it cures in just a few minutes.. you now have the exact shape to metal form a piece to..

you could also use the emblem adhesive tape.. to fasten the device..  

ryanzander ryanzander
11:36 AM

Thanks for the help. Those sound like good ideas!  

Old Chevy Old Chevy
New User | Posts: 10 | Joined: 03/14
Posted: 03/19/14
07:23 PM

Where are your mounting your filler neck/gas cap with the under bed tank?  I am thinking of making the switch to between the rails and hoped to find a setup designed to put the cap on one of the rear fenders with no luck.  

ryanzander ryanzander
Posted: 03/25/14
12:25 PM

Sorry this took a late reply, this isn't my go to forum. Currently the customer wants an in the bed flush fill kit. He recommended one of the solutions he saw in the summit magazine. But i don't think thats such a good idea to be spilling fuel all over the brand new wood bed. Especially since it isn't going to be him driving it, it will be his wives daily driver. Not sure yet. Trying to come up with a way to hinge up one  of the boards in the bed and not be able to tell its there when its down.
We can't do any metal cutting, this JUST had paint and it wasn't cheap so whatever we do will have to be in the bed modification.  

wayne712222 wayne712222
Posted: 03/25/14
12:45 PM

there are HIDDEN HINGES at some home centers in the cabinet hardware isles that you might be able to use..  a counter bore with a slight slot is used..

i will have to go thru the catalogs.. if you don't find something.

is it a step side or a fleet side???

if its a step side..  where are the tail lights mounted.. on the back of the fenders.. or next to the tail gate..

where is the tank.. behind the axle.. or inside the frame rail next to the drive shaft..

is there room in the rear wheel well .. for a custom swing down version.. that might be attached to the frame.. so when you need to fill the tank.. the assembly swings down from behind the fender and between the lip and the tire..

hard to say without any pictures..  you can upload them to a private photobucket set.. and post them here .. or in a private message.. by clicking on my user name..  

wayne712222 wayne712222
Posted: 03/26/14
01:15 AM

i don't know if this will help...

bed floors might be kinda thin...

look up a soss hinge catalog..

Dimension Spec Sheet JPG

best of luck..