Classic Trucks
Click here to find out more!

How to center wheels in a non-symetric wheel arch?

Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

How to center wheels in a non-symetric wheel arch?

eeyoresride eeyoresride
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 08/13
Posted: 08/03/13
05:42 PM

I've been working on a 65 International 1200 pickup.  I've changed tons including shortening the frame.  I shortened the frame and installed a 4-link rear suspension (just tacked at the moment).  However I didn't have the bed when I did all that, I just went by some factory wheelbase numbers I had.  Now I have a bed and the wheels are clearly not centered in the wheel arches.  Lucily most is just tacked.  But how do I decide how much to move the axle?  I can't simply measure as the arches are not symetric.  Any ideas on how to accuratly center?

IMAG0319  

waynep712222 waynep712222
User | Posts: 209 | Joined: 03/13
07:23 PM

in my opinion.. the bed needs to be moved backward several inches.  its hard to tell but 3 or 4.. but the bet is also NOT level.. nor is your driveway.. so it kind messes up the possible angle and spacing relation ship.

where does the CAB and front fenders fit...  as that is a harder fit than stretching the frame either direction to fit the rear axle under the wheel opening  again .. after the cab and front fenders are installed..  

07:29 PM

you could also set up the cab on a custom dolly you have throw together out of 2x4 and 4x4s with the fenders installed and an second dolly for the bed.. so you could line them up  and get the proper spacing between them..

i drew this up for a friend to get my idea across about using the cheep hand crank trailer nose jacks to build a dolly for supporting car bodies and pickup truck cabs and beds while they do magic on them at his body shop.. instead of having fixed heigh dollies.. as he has to crawl under and inside..  other times has to lay on the floor to do the lower parts.. when he could crank the jacks up and get it up to chair height..

Trailer Jack Body Cart Zpsc5216fcc  

eeyoresride eeyoresride
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 08/13
Posted: 08/12/13
10:32 AM

Thanks guys,

The bed is where it needs to be. The stock front mounts are placing it where it needs to be to meet up with the cab correctly. The angles are a little extreme right now due to some borrowed, very low profile front wheels, temporary spacers (no springs) front and rear, and of course the afore mentioned driveway.  Before I measure or change anything it would be corrected to the intended ride height and rake. I just want to know how to measure how much the change needs to be since I can't just measure to the wheel arch since it is not symmetrical.

Nice dolly idea!  I made dollies for both my cab and bed, but I just used casters, but using jacks is a great idea.  How much lift can you typically get out of those?  

Posted: 08/12/13
08:58 PM

well.. as for the wheel inside the wheel well openings..

roll a plywood disc front and back beside the tire to see what looks best..

those are harbor freight 32 buck 1500 pound trailer jacks i cobbled together in that drawing for another forum..  i don't know the lift.. it shows one has 24" lift height and another 32 inch lift height.. but there is no manual linked.. so i really don't know..

the body guy on that post was doing acrobatics to get under and inside various cabs and bodies supported by the fixed height dolly..   will his boss build or allow him to build one... will all the body guys in the shop fight over it.. thats to be determined..