56 Chevrolet help needed

Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

56 Chevrolet help needed

dean_bkk dean_bkk
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 03/14
Posted: 03/07/14
06:32 PM

I have been working on a 56 chevy 3100 that has a L98 corvette engine, it sits on an 83 truck chassis. I would like to know where the water drains from the upper cowl vent? I have removed the kick panel vents and installed speakers. But I realize the air to these vents comes from the cowl vent located just below the windshield but where does it drain?I have not driven the truck in the rain and don't want to find out that the rear of the speakers get wet.

Thanks for any help.
Cheers, Dean  

wayne712222 wayne712222
User | Posts: 180 | Joined: 10/13
11:43 PM

there are water proof speakers..

there are also various materials of speaker cones that are water proof..

there are foam speaker baffles.. that will protect from some water..  there are poly versions that are truly waterproof..  but will limit speaker cone extension during low frequency excursions..

they would need to be molded plastic with a tuning port to allow speaker cone movement without limiting the air movement behind the cone..

i saw some foam versions over here...

http://www.crutchfield.com/g_762/Foam-Speaker-Baffles.html?tp=660

i don't know audio stuff that well.. my brother (RIP) was a chief engineer at some major recording studios so i know some of the gear..  most of my cars have been so loud that you could not hear the car stereo with the engine running anyway..  

wayne712222 wayne712222
User | Posts: 180 | Joined: 10/13
11:44 PM

there are also hard molded plastic versions available..  

dean_bkk dean_bkk
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 03/14
Posted: 03/08/14
03:38 AM

Thanks for the advise for the speakers. But I still don't know where the water drains and why the water don't go into the cab threw the kick panel vents.  

idrivejunk idrivejunk
New User | Posts: 6 | Joined: 05/12
Posted: 03/08/14
02:06 PM

Yep, I have been working on Broncos lately and I hear of "marine rated" speakers being used. Been awhile since I worked on a tri-five truck but I have body-worked a couple of those cabs and they are made like most other rides. It drains out the bottom, but theres no obvious drain hole with a plug like on later vehicles. Water which ends up inside the cowl of most any vehicle is allowed to drain via openings in the sheetmetal structure at the bottom of the door hinge post. At the very bottom where the cab pieces weld together there should be some gaps at the corners of the joints for this reason. Thats why kick panel areas get so rusty, when leaves and debris finally clog all that up. Anyway, when water gets in there it should run right out under the back corner of the fender area. test with a glass of water down the vent to be sure your drain openings are clear. If not, you may need to poke around and dislodge debris that may be piled up inside the cab structure.  
idrivejunk