1974 Ford 10 wheel dump truck

Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

1974 Ford 10 wheel dump truck

AJKEHOE AJKEHOE
New User | Posts: 4 | Joined: 08/13
Posted: 09/05/13
05:55 PM

hello all..  recently purchased this elderly ford dump. it apparently has a 391FT engine, but I have had no success in researching the VIN.  tags, plates and stickers regarding parts/components & ratings are missing or illegible.  I do know the GVW is 44.500#.  It has a 5 speed tranny - I am hoping it is a Clark as they seem to be highly regarded. it has an aux trans but I don't know much about what that might be.. the shift knob does have an 'OD' on it but the rest of the knob is worn.  Is this likely to be a 'brownie box'?  I have read some about those lately. My question here is can anyone tell me how to determine what the major components are based on the VIN?  (T81FVR23445)    INFO I do have is as follows: 1974 Ford 10 wheel dump, model T812F, GVW 44,500#  (I am assuming 34k rears/10,500 front)  Thank you folks in advance.  

waynep712222 waynep712222
User | Posts: 209 | Joined: 03/13
Posted: 09/07/13
10:42 AM

got pictures????

got part numbers off the ID tags...

start a photobucket page.. its free.. upload your images there...

paste the links to the images here..

then we can see what you are talking about..

i would probably bet its an UNDERDRIVE set up .. not an overdrive set up in a dump truck..  so they could slowly power up out of deep diggings.. but it could be anything..

i don't know if this will have the answer you need...

http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/1974-Ford-Truck-Service-Specs-Manual-P24270.aspx

perhaps you will just need either the service manual.. or a cd copy of it..

http://www.faxonautoliterature.com/Search.aspx?c=179457

usually factory manuals have the possible build components listed in a section...

you will still have to figure out a way to identify which parts are yours.. but this will help...

i missed your answer.. does this truck have air brakes.. or vacuum hydraulic assist