Need some help

Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

Need some help

fau1tnfracture fau1tnfracture
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 09/13
Posted: 09/10/13
06:41 AM

I've done everything I'm capable of doing to get my truck right. It's a 86' 350motor 350 trans 2wd C10. At first I thought it was a carb problem, so I put on a bran new holly street avenger. Couldnt get it tuned right because of what I thought was a vacuum problem so I tore down the manifold cleaned it up and added some new gaskets. Still not right. I gave it a full tune up, New dis.cap and rotor, new wires, PVC valve. It's running real sluggish and bogs real bad. Any ideas?  

waynep712222 waynep712222
User | Posts: 209 | Joined: 03/13
07:23 AM

yes... there is.. but it will take more time to describe things to check than i have time for this morning..

start with a 5/8  six point socket on a breaker bar.. and see how much slack is in the timing chain before the distributor rotor starts to turn the other way..

i think that year still had the nylon toothed aluminum cam timing sprocket.. that fail..

if you have a cell phone camera.. video.. take some pictures and upload them to photobucket or videos to you tube.. so we can see what you have... its easier to spot things thru the net that way..

Brokennylonteethcamgear

i am posting this to ease the confusion...

Sbccamtiming

yes.. when the cam sprocket DOT is up.. the distributor rotor should be pointing at the #1 spark plug wire location in the cap...

3Keycranksprocketalignment

say.. there are several different timing pointers and mark locations on small block chevys..

8Inchtimingmarks

these both have crank keyways lined up at TDC...

Chevybalancermarks  

fau1tnfracture fau1tnfracture
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 09/13
10:15 AM

Huh, never thought about that timing sprocket. I'll give that a try and let you know.  

nize66 nize66
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 09/13
06:38 PM

was it running right ever since swap  

nize66 nize66
New User | Posts: 5 | Joined: 09/13
06:40 PM

check firing order also