Need 429 advice! Flywheel, carb, headers, exhaust

Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

Need 429 advice! Flywheel, carb, headers, exhaust

76highboy429 76highboy429
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 05/14
Posted: 05/21/14
11:38 AM

Hi, I've got a 76 highboy that currently has a 360 and a 4 speed manual which I'm swapping for a 429 out of a 70 galaxy wagon.  The engine has been bored 30 over with forged flat top trw pistons, balanced, ported, and a heavy duty cam with a 5:12 lift, and edelbrock performer intake.  I have a predator carb that I've been told won't work and am looking for advice on what carb to use, header recommendations (a lot of confusion there), need a flywheel (can of worms), and generally any tips and tricks anyone might have who has tackled engine swaps on these beasts before.  I've had 5 of these trucks but none with as much promise as this one.  Please help!  Steve.  

wayne712222 wayne712222
User | Posts: 180 | Joined: 10/13
Posted: 05/21/14
08:16 PM

i am taking you are talking about a FORD 360 FE motor..  and a 429 LIMA motor..

the FE and the LIMA motors have a completely different bell housing..  will you be able to find a bell housing to fit your manual  transmission easily.. ?? i would sure find one before i started taking anything apart..

unless you are going to install the Complete C6 out of the galaxy wagon..

the 76 ford pickups came with a bunch of different engines that included both of yours.. but the 460 versions..

warning.. that 429 combo is probably going to need to run premium and perhaps some octane booster.. ..

it might turn out to be a tire burner...

the predator carb will work on any motor.. with only a few minor adjustments.. its a really NEAT carb.. i got to meet the inventor many years ago..  bob kendig. he was really angry that predator had stolen his carb design and went off on their own..

here is the service manual to go with the predator carb you have..

don't let anybody tell you they are bad.. they are NOT .. they are great carbs. if you under stand them and get the adjustments perfect... you cannot in most cases use it straight out of the box and expect it to be perfect.. but that's true on all carbs except OEM brand new direct application carbs..  you won't have to change parts as there is nothing to change.. just the adjustments..

http://www.predatorperformanceproducts.com/media/predator_manual.pdf

so... mostly its a bolt in..

one question.. in the 70 429 motor.. did you find out if the machine shop put in HARD exhaust seats?????

if you have the exhaust manifolds off. the 429.. please spend the time to surface them ...

these are off a 429SCJ and have exhaust ports that are about 7/16" taller than the conventional 429 motors have...

Exhaustmanifoldbefore Zps71bfc6eb

do you see the plywood with the blue belt sanding strip glued to it.. i should have used a 2x4 on edge and screwed the plywood to the edge of the 2x4 to keep it perfectly straight..  and checked it with a straight edge or a long level first.. but it took 3 of us to hold the manifold flat and push it back and forth down the sand paper.. until we got it smooth ..

Exhaustmanifoldafter Zps2270e7d6

here is the exhaust flange area...  yuck... and yes.. somebody put an insert in..

Exhaustflangebefore Zpsfba5c149

Exhaustflangeafter Zps5e3c7504

i used a curved tree shape carbide grinder to resurface the flange area.. and my 4 1/2" angle grinder to hit the face.  

hint.. i did this job in a 70 torino cobra 429SCJ.  and its almost impossible to get the bolts in place while hanging the manifolds.. so i cheeted.. and used rubber bands..

429Cjexhaustrubberbands

i have some more pictures if you like..

you might be able to actually use the neutral safety switch that's on the C6 on your 76..