Best way to hook up modern stereo in 1977 Ford truck

Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

Best way to hook up modern stereo in 1977 Ford truck

lnlsmith lnlsmith
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 05/14
Posted: 05/12/14
09:45 AM

My son just replaced my stock am radio with an updated stereo. He says the only way to make it so the stereo saves settings and information would be to run power wire to fuse box but that would be a fire hazard. Is there a better way? The stereo works great but just doesn't save settings in memory. Thanks.  

wayne712222 wayne712222
User | Posts: 180 | Joined: 10/13
Posted: 05/12/14
12:38 PM

there  is a  RED wire that can connect to the original power wire to the ford radio..

there is an ORANGE wire that can connect to the dash light wire that was connected to the original ford radio.. that's for the lighting so you don't just get a blazing light out of the stereo you have the same control as the instrument cluster lights. the ford wire color is blue with a red stripe for the instrument wire.

there is a YELLOW wire that does need to be hooked to a constant power circuit.. to keep the memory alive in the car stereo..

the black wire is the ground connection..

this chart will help..

Carstereowirecolors Zps656e4e19

now... if the car stereo does not retain its settings.. you need to verify where the yellow memory wire is hooked up..  probe the location with a test light.. it needs to be hooked to a spot that has constant power.. when the ignition switch is off... while the key is on and while cranking..

if you still keep loosing your memory.. or the stereo display blanks out while cranking..

go to the battery cable ends and start cleaning..

while the battery is disconnected, count the wires on the starter solenoid, take apart the connections at the starter solenoid on the inner fender.. wire brush them..  reassemble and count the wires.. make sure they are all there.. i personally have dropped more than one wire while i have had these apart..

you will also need to check the negative cable to the inner fender connections.  and the engine to firewall connections..

during cranking.. when the wires have loose or dirty connections. will reduce the available voltage below what the stereos memory needs to keep it active..

hint.. the clock will reset to 12:00 if the cables need tending..