advice on 67 chevy project...

Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

advice on 67 chevy project...

tree2421 tree2421
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 10/13
Posted: 10/21/13
05:15 PM

hello im new to the forum and i just bought a truck because im in an autobody class but it just feels like i got in over my head the motor needs rebulit and there is rust repair that needs done no brakes no wiring at all lol pretty much needs a frame off restoration. if anyone can give me any advice on where to start it would be very much appreciated thanks!!!!

Gary  

wayne712222 wayne712222
User | Posts: 180 | Joined: 10/13
11:21 PM

digital camera.... big memory card..

dry erase board...

lots of zip lock bags...

a ruler so you can measure bolts .. nuts , washers and spacer thicknesses.. and where they go.. photographing them where they were..  what sizes they are.. and then assigning a number to the bag..  if you are forward thinking.. you will have images of the truck printed.. at a print shop.. in a cheep format and 4  to a page..

so you can put an X where this bag of parts came from as you tape the printed image to the bag..

pick up some square tubing and some casters.. make something for the cab to roll around on.. make something for the bed to roll around on..

since you say frame up.. remove cab and bed..  leaving the frame , engine, transmission, front and rear suspension...

so you can start on the frame.. work at the back end of the frame..  to start so you get the idea of what you need to perform before taking the engine and transmission out of the frame..

there are cheep ways to go.. by going in.. cleaning with a degreaser.. then sanding.. then using something like por 15.. or even a some of the roll on bed undercoating...  this can be had in quart cans sometimes..

most people strip all the bolt on stuff off the frame and send it out for media blasting.. but then they have a thicker wallet than you do..

think a decent 4 1/2" angle grinder.. and a bunch of various stripping pads.. work in small areas.. then coat it .. unless you can afford time to do it completely..

there are several articles in the many magazines here.. that actully covered a lot of the issues you are going to go thru..  these are done by forum members...

i will see if i can link some if you actually come back...

and welcome to the world of automobiles..

one of the forum members and i were talking about taking some harbor freight trailer jacks with wheels and using them on a body/bed support framework.. so he could jack them up or lower them down almost a foot to allow him easier access..

there needs to be a lot more structure than this.. but not much..

Trailer Jack Body Cart Zpsc5216fcc

and a HUGE HINT...  there are a bunch of 4.5" angle grinders over at harbor freight.. most are really cheep..  guess what.. if you pick one out that when you spin it by hand its mostly quiet..  buy that one.. take it home and before you use it . take the output shaft out.. warning there are small semicircle parts that may fall out.. woodruff keys for the angle gears..

but the 4 screw retained cover where the 5/8 shaft sticks out. has a BUSHING.. that wears out..  carefully measure it.. and then go find a cheep wholesale parts store.. that carries off brand bearings..  replace it with a ball bearing.. and reassemble it.. yep.. they are the same size.. you will now have a 10 to 20 buck angle grinder that will last for months instead of days..  its like a #202 or #203 ball bearing.. i forget..  if you look for the off brand bearing you can get one for 5 or 6 bucks.. a name brand bearing will cost you 18 to 30 bucks.. and is not needed for this import tool..  either double sealed or double shields..  your choice  

wayne712222 wayne712222
11:24 PM

oh.. you can also use your digital camera.. and start a free photobucket account..  to upload photos of ever step.. that way when you have a question.. you can post a photo here and ask the question.. replies are a lot better with some idea of what you are talking about...

D62d7b13 Bd34 4660 B27a F5e5cf9b460b Zps7310882d

i have an image i carry with me to hardware stores when i need fasteners. so i can get proper nuts and bolts...  

wayne712222 wayne712222
11:33 PM

start with this 55 pickup build up...

http://forums.chevyhiperformance.com/70/9254200/auto-body-work/55-truck-bodywork/

he did a green long bed mid to late 60s chevy truck also..  

thats what i was looking for...  

tree2421 tree2421
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 10/13
Posted: 10/22/13
08:38 PM

thanks alot i really appreciate the feed back so ur saying i sould leave the motor and tranny on the frame? because i was actually just getting it ready to pull out tonight  

wayne712222 wayne712222
Posted: 10/23/13
12:15 AM

since you are just beginning..

stripping it completely is the best thing...

but i mentioned starting to clean and paint the frame starting at the back of the frame..

i don't have any idea of your work area... tools, abilities..

pull it... or don't pull it.. i was only giving advice...

i have seen people tear them completely down... only to give up as its too much they think to put them back together..