49 f-100 frame swap

Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

49 f-100 frame swap

winwinofsky winwinofsky
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 08/14
Posted: 08/27/14
11:11 AM

This is my first post after countless reading on this site.I have a 49f-100 that i am rat rodding.got the complete truck with a already modified stock frame underneath it.Problem or not is that the front clip in it is a newer mustang front end.I would need to build some sort of frame to support the shocks which seems like it would be complicated.Other option i have is that i have a reg cab s10 short box as a doner.i have thought that if i use the short box frame i would be able to shorten the 49 box.What do you wise people suggest.Thanks for your patience.LOL  

c1971 c1971
New User | Posts: 11 | Joined: 04/12
Posted: 08/29/14
03:25 PM

Some folks don't like the idea of using s10. I think use what you have and that the s10 after market is very good plus you can go to the auto parts store for your parts. The bed might look out of proportion that short but if you're building a rat that might not bother you. I think that before I'd cut your bed take some measurements first and think about it. If you don't want to cut the box you could pop the rivets on your spring hangers and move them back and or flip the back of the frame rails side for side and add some frame. I have a 1951 Chevy and a long bed s10. Thought of this swap for awhile but there is nothing wrong with my chassis other than it is original and is drivable now. Just my thoughts, have a good day  

winwinofsky winwinofsky
Posted: 08/31/14
06:11 PM

Thanks for your input.I would probably stay with the original as well except that the previous owner put a modern front end in that requires a strut frame.Anyone out there done this kind of front end. thanks  

winwinofsky winwinofsky
Posted: 08/31/14
06:22 PM

Thanks for your input.I would probably stay with the original as well except that the previous owner put a modern front end in that requires a strut frame.Anyone out there done this kind of front end. thanks