Help! 69 F100

Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

Help! 69 F100

jake.murray81 jake.murray81
New User | Posts: 1 | Joined: 11/13
Posted: 11/28/13
05:19 PM

Hey everyone, first time posting here. I have a 1969 F100 shortbed im going to start restoring. But it will be a learning experience for me, as i have never really done any type of automotive project before. Im extremely excited to start and was wondering if you all had any general advice you could give me? Any things to look for that i wouldnt know to ask about or look for. Good places to get parts?

Thank you all!

Jake from Texas  

wayne712222 wayne712222
User | Posts: 98 | Joined: 10/13
Posted: 11/29/13
12:04 PM

first off.. different parts can be sourced from different places..

the print issue and across the top of this page are listed a few of the suppliers.

take some pictures of your truck.. stick them up on something like photobucket as its free.. and then paste the links here when you have a question about something directly...

i can give you some things to check...

reach thru the open drivers window..  rock the steering wheel back and forth to the limit of the free play at the top of the wheel..   see how much it moves before the tire starts to move..

have a friend rock the steering wheel while you look under the hood..

make sure that the steering box is not rocking..

if you get under the truck..  sort of under the steering box... where the lower frame rail attaches to the back of the cross member.. there is a bolt..  that bolt is loose or not tight enough on most of the ford trucks i have worked on..  its like 5/8 on one side and 11/16 on the other.. so you know you the right one.   you won't believe how much better your truck steers with that bolt tight..

also.. take a look  while the friend is rocking the steering wheel at the input shaft of the steering box.. make sure its not going in and out as you turn.. if it is.. then the steering box needs some attention..

also make sure that the steering coupling is not broken.. and that its not slipping up the shaft..  on my moms 70 F250 it actually separated from the box.. leaving her in a parking lot with a free spinning steering wheel.   since i am the only person to work on that truck in the last 36 years.. i never checked that coupling..  was it left slightly loose at the factory.?? is it worth taking a 3/8" 12 point socket to try tightening it.. yep...

you will also want to convert to electronic ignition..  either with the 10 minute installation of a pertronix unit. or a duraspark installation.  just something that will clear the air cleaner housing...

and until we know more..    69 ford pickups came with a round pin type of ignition switch connector .. if any of the contact pins or terminals are burned you will want to convert to the slightly newer version and pigtail..  that uses flat pins..

LS302 Ignitionswitchforford  

dansims9 dansims9
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 02/14
Posted: 02/22/14
07:26 AM

Odd I am buying a 1969 Ford F100 for my first auto restore job too. Cool