Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

Truck for a big fella

Kyle Frederick Kyle Frederick
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 12/13
Posted: 12/04/13
07:54 AM

Hello All,

I was hoping the folks here might be able to help me with a problem. I have finally gotten the go ahead from my wife to buy myself an old truck. This is going to be my daily driver and I want to do it up right. I went and looked at a 1966 Ford the other day and I found that the steering wheel hit me right in the gut.  I'm a bigger guy (6'5" and 350), so I was wondering is there a year model or manufacturer that has a larger cab or v at least a greater distance between the steering wheel and the seat? Thank you for any and all help!  

wayne712222 wayne712222
User | Posts: 99 | Joined: 10/13
Posted: 12/04/13
09:53 AM

if you get up into the mid to late 70's models.. you can sometimes find an club cab. or extended cab thats got like a half back seat.. this gives you the ability to use seat track extenders. from various suppliers like summit.  or remount the seat your self.

you can.. if the truck has power steering.. or you have really strong arms.. go to a smaller steering wheel..   carefully selected as some with 5 or 6 mounting bolts in the center of the wheel only mount on 2 or 3 inch tall extensions..  that put it back up in your gut..

the 3 bolt center versions can mount with an almost flat install kit..

plan on swapping in power steering..  or.. really keeping the king pins greased..

i picked up a 76 E250..  but any van that has a captains swivel pedestal mount seats..  the kind with a tube in a tube..  you can as i have.. measured the pattern carefully... so i could restore the pattern... cut off the front 3 or 4 inches of the top plate where the seat tracks mount..  have a welding shop weld that to the back of the top plate . so you now have holes to mount the back of the seat..  just measure and make new holes up front at the shortened section..

this saves you the need to get under and unbolt and move the pedestal..  i did have them bend some steel bar stock and weld that on.. for the seat belt mount..  worked out perfect..  i can sit against the seat.. and vanish from the drivers window..

only issue.. big vans get crummy fuel economy..   get a 5.0 fuel injected version from 86 to 95..

back to the pickups...   if you move the fuel tank out.. you might be able to gain a few inches..  the bench seat backs might also be modified to be thinner at the top but this takes some measurement and forethought.  and a good upholstery guy who can recover it with enough material so you or i don't push thru the material.

an upholstery man friend of mine.. actually used new carpet.. that he had sprayed on contact cement and applied layers of canvas to the backing to reinforce it.. and used that to cover the springs..  then some airfoam pads.. this made a really thin but durable seat back and bottom for one project..   he had cut off the top of the seat and created some thing thinner for the upper part and shortened the springs.. so the springs in the seat back started about 2/3rds down...  

wvahillbilly1 wvahillbilly1
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 12/13
Posted: 12/08/13
03:36 PM

In 1966 their were also some pretty big guys who drove these trucks.  I have a 64 F-100 and the seat goes backa good distance.  Mayvbe the seat wasn,t going back all the way.   Have you thought--and we all forget--to get a smaller steering wheel?   If it has a 292 y-block.  Their good motors .  Mine gets 23 mpg.  Their preety stout engine and as long as you keep the oil change and maintence--you ,ll get great service out of it.  I got over 185,000 mile before a overhaul.  and the best part about it.  A friend GAVE it to me.  It goes good on slick roads too and its a single traction.  Good luck.