Need to replace my front bushing how can i identify what i need ? 50'

Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

Need to replace my front bushing how can i identify what i need ? 50'

thecramp thecramp
New User | Posts: 3 | Joined: 01/14
Posted: 01/09/14
04:33 PM

Hi, i need to replace all my front bushings on my chevy 50 truck, i d'ont have the OEM frame, but i d'ont manage to find the VIN on it to know which car it come from.

My engine is a 262 4,3 1975, but frame maybe 1971 because my reared end is from 1971, but front part not sure, the problem is that it ca be chevelle, … chevelle, GTO, skylark, cutlass ….

how can i know which bushing kit i can buy ?

Thanks

ps: maybe easy to change arm … spring, brake ...but same question, ail it fit the frame? …  

wayne712222 wayne712222
User | Posts: 180 | Joined: 10/13
Posted: 01/11/14
05:23 PM

pictures....

use photobucket.  its free...

paste the links here..  

there are only a few options..  and some of us can identify stuff by look of the control arms...if you take enough pictures..

one issue..  the lower control arm bushings.. some cars have 2 round bushings..some cars have the forward bushing as a round bushing and the rear as an oval shaped bushing..

see if you can get the casting numbers off the spindle and steering arms.. including pictures..  

thecramp thecramp
Posted: 01/13/14
06:56 AM

Hi, yes here are the pict
Chevy Front suspension

when you said oval, you mean bushing for rear end or still front arm but in the back of it ?

Thanks $kind regards.  

wayne712222 wayne712222
Posted: 01/14/14
12:41 AM

ok forum members.. what do you think

69 to 71 A body..

P1060448 Zps67f901fe

P1060455 Zps4412a501

your brake hose is too short by about 2 inches..

P1110054 Zps4b0a827d

can you be creative and get me a measurement from end to end.. and what is the thread size on the frame end.. is it 3/8-24 or 7/16-20  you can use an open end wrench to slide over the exposed threads..

you are also going to want to get a ride height.. of the spring when the car is sitting on the ground.. and a weight of each front wheel..  you will need to contact somebody like eaton spring and see what they have for that ride height and weight...  since those springs have been torched to lower the ride..

here is an article that covers what appears to be your front suspension...

http://www.carcraft.com/projectbuild/116_9510_1970_chevy_chevelle_front_suspension_install/viewall.html  

wayne712222 wayne712222
12:54 AM

i would personally inspect your bushings to make sure the center shaft is still centered in them..

with a floor jack and a block of wood as far out under the lower control arms.. i would inspect the ball joints for play.. side to side.. up and down...

i don't like the heated springs.. but thats up to you.. and getting back to the same ride height is sometimes an issue...  

the red shocks seem to have a triangular label that says KONI.. good shocks..

take a big pair of channel locks and squeeze the tie rod ends.. if they don't squeeze they are probably ok...

if you measure the diameter of the sway bar.. looks like 3/4 or 7/8"  you can get new frame bracket bushings at most parts stores..

the brake hoses being too short are the only screaming issue i would worry about at this second..  

wayne712222 wayne712222
01:27 AM

i don't want to deflate your ideas.... but i have more reading for you

http://www.ridetech.com/files_AR/techarticles/ABODYDUBBLE.pdf

http://www.hotrod.com/howto/hrdp_0701_air_suspension/viewall.html

just thoughts.. i don't know what your plans are.. and info is free..  

thecramp thecramp
05:55 PM

Hi, thank for all this details,

i've  measure from hub flange, it's about 153 cm around 60,2 in, and from end of the thread at end of the thread about 161 cm i think it's 63,38 in. I have to go back to measure the thread size.
I'll inspect the ball joint , to see if they need replace, for the moment the most important it's bushings. I think the center shaft if ok, but with dead bushings …
Yes that's koni, maybe it's good if i find the same… and keep heated spring cheaper than air suspension ...

for sway bar it's around 23,7 mm i think i need 22 mm it's 7/8 ?
For brake hoses yes they are very short, i need to find the god one to summit racing .( same thing i don't know what to buy …!!)

i have numbers on brake rotor maybe it can help for year or all car of those years have the same , probably yes ..

ps: i don't receive instant notification when you post ! i've set up "instant notification" it doesn't work !

Thanks BR
John.  

wayne712222 wayne712222
Posted: 01/19/14
05:33 PM

i am kinda lost on what you are asking for right now..

did you see the car craft article i linked above..

you should be able to just order 71 chevelle parts from any local parts store and they should fit. that includes brake rotors and probably calipers..

the hoses i still need to look around for..

71 chevelle disc brake hose..

Part Number: 88466 at AZ.. and others..
Application: With disc brakes
Brake Hose Assembly Length (In): 11.875
End 1 Fitting Material: Treated Steel
End 1 Type/Size of Fitting: Banjo - 0.4375
End 2 Fitting Material: Treated Steel
End 2 Type/Size of Fitting: Female - 3/8-24

see if your brake hoses are just shy of 12 inches long..  if they are. then we need to find something slightly longer..

you can slip a 3/8 open end wrench over the threads of the tubing nut going into the frame mounted end of the brake hose..  its either going to be 3/8" or 7/16" if its the next size up..

the sway bar bracket bushings..

Part Number: FA1243
Alternate Part Number: K5253
Notes: Front suspension. With 1" diameter bar

or

Part Number: FA988
Alternate Part Number: K5241
Notes: Front suspension. 13/16" Diameter bar.