Engine choice for 1966 C10

Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

Engine choice for 1966 C10

popcycle popcycle
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 08/14
Posted: 08/16/14
10:14 AM

With the help of a friend and mechanic I am starting my first hot Rod project. My budget for the completion is around $20,000. I already have an updated suspension and a five speed transmission. My wish list is to have; disc brakes, power steering, lowered, headers and dual exhaust, new interior with instruments, and of course new crate engine.
After doing a little research, I've decided that possibly the best engine choice would be a carbureted ZZ4. At around $5000, it's $1000 cheaper than a comparable sized EFI engine.
So my question is, should I go for a bigger engine? Is there a point of diminishing returns in cost versus horsepower? This will not be a daily driver. Maybe just cruising into town, errands, etc., a few times a week. Probably won't show, but that is open a bit. I just want to have fun! I want to feel that V8 rumble in my spine when I turn it over, and keep a smile plastered to my face.
This truck is a blank canvas. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!
Popcycle.