Engine choice for 1966 C10

Classic Trucks
Item Posts    Sort Order

Engine choice for 1966 C10

popcycle popcycle
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 08/14
Posted: 08/16/14
10:14 AM

With the help of a friend and mechanic I am starting my first hot Rod project. My budget for the completion is around $20,000. I already have an updated suspension and a five speed transmission. My wish list is to have; disc brakes, power steering, lowered, headers and dual exhaust, new interior with instruments, and of course new crate engine.
After doing a little research, I've decided that possibly the best engine choice would be a carbureted ZZ4. At around $5000, it's $1000 cheaper than a comparable sized EFI engine.
So my question is, should I go for a bigger engine? Is there a point of diminishing returns in cost versus horsepower? This will not be a daily driver. Maybe just cruising into town, errands, etc., a few times a week. Probably won't show, but that is open a bit. I just want to have fun! I want to feel that V8 rumble in my spine when I turn it over, and keep a smile plastered to my face.
This truck is a blank canvas. Any and all suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much!
Popcycle.  

blucar blucar
New User | Posts: 11 | Joined: 01/12
Posted: 09/23/14
10:42 AM

I may be a little late in responding to your question (s), maybe not, it appears that you have not had hardly any responses..
I have had a lot of experience with the C10's, '63-66, had a new '63 and a new '65, I kept the '65 for eighteen years.. It was a C-20 Camper Special, 327 400 turbo trans.. The 327 was not up to the task of pulling a 12' camper and 22' ski boat. In 1968 I installed a '68 325 HP 396 out of a wrecked '68 Impala, ran the truck until '81 when I bought a motor home.. The guy I sold the truck to still has it, I've tried to buy it back many times.
I'm currently working on two C-10's a '66 short short bed fleet-side, factory air cond cab, V8 PG auto trans. The 327 engine was in good shape, I sold it, don't care for pre '85 small block Chevy engines..
I picked up an '81 C-10, the front suspension, entire cross-member,will bolt right into a '64-66 C-10, 16 bolts attaches the front cross-member into the chassis. I also swapped the '81 rear axle into the '66 C-10. I used the '81 steering column, gave me tilt etc.
I am using a '87 350 CID engine with a 2004R multi bolt trans..
If you want to drop the truck a little you can use front dropped spindles and lowering blocks on the back..    
The second truck I'm working on is a '64 C10 that is a very unusual truck. A man that I know, Matt, is an incredible fabricator, over ten years ago he wanted an unusual yet practical truck to pull his race car trailer. he decided to build one. Starting out with a '64 C10 he modified the body into an extended club cab using two standard cabs and a suburbon body. The quarter section behind the "B" pillar is from a Sub, the large rear window section is from a Chevy cab.
The chassis was from a Ford SD 450 7.3 Power Stroke..
Matt drove the truck for many years, then tired of it, putting it up for sale. No one would step up to the plate and buy the truck so Matt pulled the cab and front end off of the chassis. He fabricated up an extended '51 Chevy COE body for the 450 chassis.
In time Matt offered the '64 body to me, after a little "horse trading" I owned the body. i picked up a '98 1500, truck with a blown engine, we put the '64 body onto the '98 chassis. Changed the rear suspension to '64-66 coil springs/trailing arms, and installed a '64-66 six foot fleet-side bed.
I picked up a '97 5.7 V8 and 4L60 trans out of a truck that had been stolen and vandalized.. The power plant had less than 100k on the speedo.
I'm using a Painless wiring harness on the engine trans, utilizing the stock ECM. Using a Painless chassis harness.. The engine/trans will retain all of the original GM EFI and accessories except for the air box which is a K&N set up.
As it now stands I have $7,500. in the '64, this includes putting all new brakes on the truck, rebuilding the 4L60 trans, new radiator, and the wiring harness'.
I think that in time I will change the exterior paint color, something more to my liking, in lieu of Matt;s yellow racing colors.. I'm thinking a dark maroon,similar to the new GM truck/SUV's... Bill  
Bill 59-66 4xs

blucar blucar
New User | Posts: 11 | Joined: 01/12
Posted: 09/23/14
10:42 AM

t I know, Matt, is an incredible fabricator, over ten years ago he wanted an unusual yet practical truck to pull his race car trailer. he decided to build one. Starting out with a '64 C10 he modified the body into an extended club cab using two standard cabs and a suburbon body. The quarter section behind the "B" pillar is from a Sub, the large rear window section is from a Chevy cab.
The chassis was from a Ford SD 450 7.3 Power Stroke..
Matt drove the truck for many years, then tired of it, putting it up for sale. No one would step up to the plate and buy the truck so Matt pulled the cab and front end off of the chassis. He fabricated up an extended '51 Chevy COE body for the 450 chassis.
In time Matt offered the '64 body to me, after a little "horse trading" I owned the body. i picked up a '98 1500, truck with a blown engine, we put the '64 body onto the '98 chassis. Changed the rear suspension to '64-66 coil springs/trailing arms, and installed a '64-66 six foot fleet-side bed.
I picked up a '97 5.7 V8 and 4L60 trans out of a truck that had been stolen and vandalized.. The power plant had less than 100k on the speedo.
I'm using a Painless wiring harness on the engine trans, utilizing the stock ECM. Using a Painless chassis harness.. The engine/trans will retain all of the original GM EFI and accessories except for the air box which is a K&N set up.
As it now stands I have $7,500. in the '64, this includes putting all new brakes on the truck, rebuilding the 4L60 trans, new radiator, and the wiring harness'.
I think that in time I will change the exterior paint color, something more to my liking, in lieu of Matt;s yellow racing colors.. I'm thinking a dark maroon,similar to the new GM truck/SUV's... Bill  
Bill 59-66 4xs

byproduct byproduct
New User | Posts: 10 | Joined: 09/14
Posted: 09/25/14
05:40 AM

$20k,
look for a insurance'd big block vette or caddy
one them 700+ HP jobs.

if you pick good, just do a body swap

you'll have $change to pretty up the truck.
maybe even $change after that.  

Jimmy Coan Jimmy Coan
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 09/14
Posted: 09/26/14
04:46 PM

Never too late for a thoughtful reply; thank you.
I've started by lowering with drop spindles and shorter springs in back. Disk brakes all the way around and power steering. I'll add New dash, probably a Hampton Engineering and new steering column by ididit. A friend gave me a 5 speed out of a S10 which I'll mate with a new 330 hp Crate turn key engine. So, as you can tell, the absence of advice has not slowed me down.  

Jimmy Coan Jimmy Coan
New User | Posts: 2 | Joined: 09/14
Posted: 09/26/14
04:47 PM

Never too late for a thoughtful reply; thank you.
I've started by lowering with drop spindles and shorter springs in back. Disk brakes all the way around and power steering. I'll add New dash, probably a Hampton Engineering and new steering column by ididit. A friend gave me a 5 speed out of a S10 which I'll mate with a new 330 hp Crate turn key engine. So, as you can tell, the absence of advice has not slowed me down.